Enter Giveaway below to win a box of gfJules™ Gluten-Free Baking Mix.
Receive a FREE sample of gfJules™ Gluten-Free Flour. (Scroll to bottom for details.)
Jules Shepard has started a new line of Gluten-Free mixes. To be more precise, she is re-launching her popular gluten-free baking mixes under a new company name: gfJules™. So, if you’re already familiar with her gluten-free flour mixes, make sure you’re getting THE Real Jules.
I’m happy to support Jules in her new venture. She has done so much for the gluten-free community. Her cookbook was one of the very first I bought when I started this gluten-free lifestyle almost 10 years ago. I bought it directly from her at a Chesapeake Celiac Support Group. You may have participated in the annual Gluten-Free Cookie Swap on Facebook and Pinterest that she organizes each year. And, we’ve all benefited from her work on the 1 in 133 organization. My family and I were glad to be able to attend the 11-foot tall gluten-free cake-building event in 2011. The event was certainly a big push to get the gluten-free labeling laws noticed, passed, and finally implemented last year.
I make a lot of gluten-free food from scratch. I have a pantry filled with a variety of gluten-free flours, but I have to say that I really like the convenience of starting with baking mixes. A tried and tested gluten-free mix that works just right for the product you want just seems to make life a little easier. Jules sent me a box each of the Gluten-Free Pancake & Waffle Mix and the Graham Cracker/Gingerbread Mix to try.
The gfJules website says this about her baking mixes:
- “All gfJules products are free of the Top 8 food allergens
- All gfJules products are made in a dedicated GF and allergen-free facility
- If you don’t love it, and we can’t find a way to help you love it, then we’ll refund your purchase price”
gfJules™ Gluten-Free Pancake & Waffle Mix
- No brown Rice Flour
- No Bean Flours
- No Dairy, Nuts or Soy
I was so happy to see that this mix is dairy-free! So many of the gluten-free mixes in the stores contain powdered milk. I made pancakes with the mix, and my kids LOVED them! The pancakes browned very nicely, but I have to warn you. It is a very thick batter. The first batch I made I added some water to thin it out, so the batter would spread after being poured onto the skillet. That was my mistake because the pancakes ended up gummy inside. After reading the cooking instructions more carefully, it says to “spread the batter with a spoon so the pancake is not too thick.” OK, lesson learned.
Following the directions, the pancakes turned out much better and still moist. That makes it perfect for reheating frozen leftovers in the toaster, if you have any. Each box comes with two bags of mix. I found that each bag made about 16-20 pancakes depending on the size you make them.
gfJules™ Gluten-Free Graham Cracker/Gingerbread Mix
The graham cracker mix makes a large batch. It was quick and easy to mix them up. To roll them out, I didn’t add extra flour as the directions said to do. I simply rolled them out on parchment paper, with plastic wrap on top. That works out well for me, and I don’t have to worry about extra flour. I rolled out half the dough to about a 12″x 16″ rectangle, and cut the crackers into roughly 2″ squares. (I ended up with about 80 crackers.) I sprinkled some of them with cinnamon-sugar before baking and they were even tastier.
Perfect for some yummy s’mores, or just for snacking. This would be great for making gingerbread men and gingerbread houses for the holidays, too. You just need to add some additional spices to the mix.
Enter to win a gfJules™ Gluten-Free Baking Mix
Finally, the giveaway details! Jules has offered to give a full-size box of one of her baking mixes to two lucky readers.
- To enter, simply leave a comment below saying which product you would like to try: gfJules™ Pancake & Waffle Mix or gfJules™ Gluten-Free Graham Cracker/Gingerbread Mix.
- You can receive bonus entries for letting your friends know about the giveaway on Twitter, Facebook, or other social media. Just be sure to come back and leave an additional comment below letting us know where you mentioned it.
- Make sure when you’re leaving a comment, that you put your email address in the appropriate box so that I can contact you if you win.
- All comments/entries must be received no later than 11:59 pm EDT, Saturday Jan. 31, 2015.
Two Winners will be chosen using a random generator. Each winner will receive one box of their choice of gfJules™ gluten-free baking mixes. The winner should respond within 48 hours after being contacted by email. If I’m unable to contact a winner, another winner will be chosen. Good Luck! Keep reading for details on how everyone can get a sample of gfJules™ Gluten-Free Flour Mix.
Jules has also generously agreed to send EVERYONE a 3/4 Cup sample of gfJules™ Gluten-Free Flour Mix. The flour is used as a 1:1 replacement that works in just about any recipe, but it will come with a recipe to make muffins. It costs you nothing, not even shipping. You simply need to send an email requesting a sample to Samples@gfJules.com. Be sure to include your U.S. shipping address. (Sorry, the free samples will not be shipped out of country.)
Some of the benefits of her Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour:
- Certified GF from GFCO
- Certified Kosher from OU
- Made in a dedicated GF and top 8 food allergen-free facility
- 1:1 flour that works in nearly of your favorite recipes (and it’s guaranteed)
- the flour is tasteless and has no grit – just like the white flour you’re used to baking with
- 18 month shelf life
To find THE Real Jules and Gluten-Free Baking Mixes, Recipes, and Support for the Gluten-Free Community, check these out:
Last month, I was invited to participate in the Krusteaz Blogger Bake-Off, and I was eager to join and try the new Krusteaz gluten-free baking mixes. As a way of introducing their new line of gluten-free baking mixes to the gluten-free community, Krusteaz is sponsoring a contest for bloggers to create a gluten-free recipe using one of their new gluten-free baking mixes. They sent me two boxes of each mix with a “Gluten-Free Bake-Off Kit.” I’m told the Double Chocolate Brownies, Blueberry Muffins, and Buttermilk Pancakes are all very good. I wasn’t able to enjoy them because they all contain milk products, which my body doesn’t tolerate very well.
I was, however, able to enjoy the Krusteaz Gluten-Free Honey Cornbread Mix. (Although the ingredients label says it may contain milk, I didn’t have any trouble from eating it.) It’s a very sweet and tasty cornbread. I used it to make Cornbread and Sausage Dressing for Thanksgiving this year. It was so good, we ate the leftovers for breakfast! But that’s another recipe. ….
I guess because the cornbread is so sweet, I thought it would be perfect for making a sweet breakfast treat for the holidays — Cornbread Apple Fritters! I love having a baking mix to give me a head start on a tasty breakfast. So, with a few additions to the mix, I created a recipe that is delicious and easy to prepare!
Gluten-Free Cornbread Apple Fritters Recipe
Krusteaz Gluten-Free Honey Cornbread Mix
1 Cup Almond Milk, unsweetened
1/3 Cup Vegetable Oil
1 large Egg
3 Apples — peeled, cored, and diced (3-4 cups)
2 Tbsp Cornstarch
2 Tbsp Sugar
1-1/2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
Vegetable oil for frying (enough for 2 inches of oil in a sided fry pan or a quart in a deep fryer)
Powdered Sugar for dusting the tops (optional)
- Heat vegetable oil to 375° F. On the stove, heat oil in a pan with tall sides. Or, use an electric deep fryer.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the cornstarch, sugar, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Prepare apples by peeling, cutting out the cores, and dicing. Then toss them in the medium bowl with the cinnamon-sugar mixture to evenly coat the apples. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together one package of Krusteaz Gluten-Free Honey Cornbread Mix with 1 cup almond milk, 1/3 cup oil, and 1 egg.
- Fold the apples into the prepared Krusteaz Gluten-Free Honey Cornbread batter.
- Scoop a ball of about 2 Tbsp of batter at a time into the heated oil. I cooked 5 of them at the same time. Fry the apple fritter batter for about 3 minutes on each side, or until nicely browned.
- Remove cooked fritters from the oil and place on paper towels to remove excess oil and cool down. Those apples will be hot!
- If desired, dust the fritters with powdered sugar and serve warm.
- Makes about 24 fritters, depending on the size you make them.
- Prep time about 15 min, or less if you’re faster than me at peeling apples.
- Total cooking time 25-30 min.
- I cooked these using both methods — on the stove and using an electric deep fryer. The electric deep fryer is better at keeping a constant temperature, but both methods worked fine.
- I used Golden Delicious apples, but feel free to use your favorite baking apples.
- If the fritters aren’t cooking through fast enough, try making them a little smaller.
- To keep fritters warm before serving, consider placing them in a warm oven (200° F) until ready to eat.
- Krusteaz Gluten-Free Honey Cornbread Mix ingredients: “Sugar, whole grain white cornmeal, degermed yellow cornmeal, whole grain sorghum flour, whole grain millet flour. Contains 2% or less of the following: food starch-modified, salt, leavening (sodium acid pyrophosphate, sodium bicarbonate), xanthan gum, honey powder. May contain milk, eggs and soy.”
Want to know more about Krusteaz Gluten-Free products?
- Check the Krusteaz Gluten-Free website for product details.
- Find Gluten-Free Recipes using the Krusteaz Gluten-Free products.
- I was able to find various gluten-free mixes at a variety of stores in my area: King Soopers, Safeway, and Target. You can check the product locator (“Locate Our Products”) in the top right corner of the Krusteaz website to find the products near you.
- Krusteaz can also be found on a variety of social media: Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Pinterest, Instagram.
The recipe and comments above are my own, however, Krusteaz did sponsor my participation in the Blogger Bake-Off. I was sent a Krusteaz “Gluten-Free Bake-Off Kit” with two boxes of each of the new Krusteaz gluten-free baking mixes, along with a tote bag, spatula, and gift card for buying ingredients. Krusteaz is also awarding three contest winners additional gift cards to Crate and Barrel.