Archive for September, 2010
The good folks at POM Wonderful sent me a case of Blueberry Pomegranate juice in the mail last month. It’s very good, and very strong on the blueberry flavor. I can’t drink too much of it straight, but that’s OK because even a small bottle of it is full of antioxidants. That makes this a healthy drink, right?
When I first received the juice, I thought of lots of different ways to use it: sorbets, dressings, sauces, etc. And for some reason (fast and easy, perhaps?), the only way I’ve used it so far is in drinks. I’ve added it to lemonade, other juices, iced tea, even champagne. It added a nice flavor to all of them.
Then, I got this crazy idea to use it in a Cosmopolitan drink. I don’t even drink Cosmos. Anyway, I gave my husband some ideas on the ingredients, and he tried mixing a couple versions. I think we came up with a very yummy recipe. It’s really very good, and very blueberry, despite the red color. So, if you’re looking for a fruity, fun drink for happy hour or girl’s night out, give it a try.
Blue POM Cosmo Recipe
2 oz. vodka, chilled
1 oz. Triple Sec
Juice of 1/2 lime
1 oz. POM Blueberry juice
Blueberries for garnish (optional)
- Pour the ingredients into a cocktail shaker.
- Add a few ice cubes, cover and shake the cocktail.
- Pour the cocktail, straining out the ice, into a martini glass.
- If desired, garnish with a few blueberries.
- As you can see, I used blueberries for garnish. To keep the swizzle stick from falling out of the glass, put some blueberries on the end of the stick in the glass, too. Or, just lay it across the rim of the glass.
- There are lots of good-looking recipes at POM Wonderful.
- The origins of the Cosmopolitan Cocktail, according to Wikipedia.
- Pomegranate-Blueberry Albacore Skewers recipe is posted at The Gluten-Free Hippie.
- Reindeer Antlers, an pomegranate alcoholic punch is posted at Gluten Free Easily.
- Recipes for Pomegranate Popsicles and Pomegranate Sorbet are at Gluten Free Gidget.
- POM Glazed Chicken Salad can be found at Gluten Free Expedition.
- Pork Chops with Pomegranate-Mushroom Sauce is posted at Gluten Free Works.
- Pomegranate Marinade for lamb and salmon can be found at Gluten Free Portland Oregon.