Archive for September, 2013
The Gluten-Free Menu Swap theme this week is 30-Minute or Less Meals. Visit Gluten Free Detroit Metro for this week’s roundup of gluten-free menus.
We can all appreciate a quick and tasty meal that the whole family enjoys. With school starting and after-school activities ramping up, a meal on the table in 30 minutes is definitely what we need. Simple, uncomplicated meals are best received by my family: grilled or roasted meats, steamed vegetables, fresh fruits, etc.
Ideas for quick gluten-free meals:
- Grilled meats cook quickly. Just a little seasoning — salt and pepper, fresh herbs, or maybe Lawry’s seasoning salt — is all we need to prepare the meats. And a hot grill will have them ready in 10-15 minutes.
- Use the microwave. Vegetables like broccoli and green beans need little preparation. A quick rinse and chop, then I put them in my microwave steamer. It’s usually done in about 5 min.
- Oven-roasted. Other starchy or root vegetables are great roasted in the oven. They take a little longer to cook in the oven. But 5 minutes of peeling and chopping and tossing with a little olive oil and salt, then it’s into the oven for 20-30 min. Plenty of time to get the rest of the meal prepared and set the table.
Breakfast for Dinner is another quick way to get a tasty meal on the table that everyone will love.
- Slow-Cooker Meals – OK, so these actually take several hours to cook, but the prep time is pretty quick. Our favorites are Pulled Pork, Shredded Mexican Chicken, and chili.
- Leftovers – Make more food than you need for one night. I always get two to three meals out of the two recipes above. I may repurpose the leftovers for a different meal later in the week or freeze the leftovers for another quick meal that just needs to be defrosted!
- Fish and Shrimp – If your family enjoys them, fish and shrimp will cook up very quickly. Easy Garlic Shrimp Pasta and Baked Salmon with Lemon and Dill are simple meals my family enjoys.
Celiac Family’s Menu This Week:
Monday – Chili and cornbread (made in advance and frozen)
Tuesday – Grilled Chicken, Rainbow Apple Salad
Wednesday – Hamburgers, Sweet Potato Fries, Corn on the cob
Friday – Cilantro Lime Shrimp, Spaghetti Squash, Asparagus
Saturday – Pork Tenderloin, roasted potatoes, steamed broccoli
Sunday – leftovers
Want to join Gluten-Free Menu Swap?
- For this week’s roundup, visit Gluten Free Detroit Metro.
- Next week’s roundup will be at Angelas’ Kitchen, and the theme will be Family Favorites.
- The Gluten-Free Menu Swap Page has the current schedule of themes and hosts. If you’d like to host a future week, please send me an email (celiacfamily[AT]gmail[DOT]com) with your preferred date and theme.
Need more menu ideas?
- Laura at OrgJunkie.com hosts Menu Plan Monday every week. You’ll find links to hundreds of meal plans (not necessarily gluten-free) there.
- Or, check out some of my past menu plans.