Bacon, Bacon, Bacon! Who loves bacon? That’s the theme for this week’s Gluten-Free Menu Swap. You’ll find the round up below. We love bacon at my house. And, lately we seem to eating quite a bit of it, which has had me wondering if that’s a bad thing. Then, I got an email last week, that says bacon is one of the healthiest foods you can eat!
Here’s what it says:
“It’s considered by many to be the ultimate food indulgence, but according to Dr. John Salerno, a protégé of “Atkins Diet” creator Dr. Robert Atkins, bacon is one of the healthiest foods you can eat.
“Many think of bacon as one of the guiltiest pleasures possible, but it has also been shown to alleviate the effects of diabetes, heart disease and strokes,” says Dr. Salerno, author of “The Silver Cloud Diet,” (www.thesilverclouddiet.com). “Nitrate-free bacon is an excellent source of high protein, low-carbohydrate energy that helps to reset the metabolism, and it’s filled with amino acids delivered without the risk of dangerous levels of mercury, which can be found in many fish.”
Need more reasons to love bacon?
• It has a 4:1 ratio of protein to fat;
• It contains choline, which boosts memory and healthy brain function;
• It’s composed of monounsaturated fats, the kind that contains lots of healthy fat-soluble vitamins and minerals
• It’s a potent source of oleic acid and saturated fats, which help reduce levels of low density lipoprotein (LDL), lower triglycerides, and raise HDL – commonly referred to as the good form of cholesterol.”
OK, I’m sold! So, what do you think? Despite these claims, I still believe in eating everything in moderation. So, I’ll try not to over-indulge. ;) Check out the Gluten-Free Menu Swap roundup below for more gluten-free menus, recipe links, and perhaps ideas for including bacon in your meals.
Monday – Hot dogs with leftover Chili
Friday – Hamburgers, Sweet Potato Fries, Steamed Green Beans
Sunday – leftovers
Gluten Free Menu Swap Roundup
Mom’s Plans: Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Menu
Melissa spent the weekend stocking her freezer with wonderful meals for the month. This week, her family will be enjoying Roast with Carrots and Potatoes, Meatloaf with Dairy-Free Mashed Potatoes, Slow Cooker Hamburger Soup, Baked Turkey Spinach Meatballs with GF spaghetti, and Taco Soup.
Not Missing a Thing! Allergy Friendly Cooking: Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, and Egg-Free Menu
Paige is joining us once again with her menu plans. This week she starts with Java Crockpot Roast, Crockpot Salsa Bean Chicken, and Pizza for the birthday boy. The family will also enjoy Mongolian Beef and Broccoli, Sausages with peppers, onions, and mushrooms over rice, and Burgers on the grill.
Angela’s Kitchen: Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Menu
Angela has quite a few delicious recipes with bacon to share this week: Maple Brown Sugar Bacon Wrapped Smokies, Crustless Breakfast Quiche, Deviled Egg Salad, Calico Beans, Updated Warm German Potato Salad, Bacon Spinach Quiche Pie, and Stuffed Pork Roast. For dinners this week, she’s planning Sticky Chicky Legs with Quinoa Confetti Salad, White Bean Chicken Chili, Banana Pancakes with Turkey Sausage, Chicken Apple Bacon Sliders with Broccoli Salad, and Margherita Pizza. Check out her site for her full menu, as well as GFCF breakfast and lunch ideas and more recipe links.
The Girl Who Couldn’t Eat Anything: eating without Gluten, Dairy, Peanuts, Oats, or Meat
Elisabeth can’t eat meat, but is going to try to make some “bacon bits” this week using soy crumbles. Her dinners this week will include Veggie Burgers with gluten-free buns, Fish, Tomato Avocado Salad, Chef Salad, Sweet & Sour Shrimp Stir Fry, Bok Choy Brown Rice Salad, and Pizza.
The Peaceful Mom: Simple Gluten-Free Menu
For dinners this week, Kimberlee and her family will be eating Italian Pasta Salad with Chicken, Steak and Peppers, BBQ Chicken Nachos, Chicken Enchiladas, Baked Tacos, Grilled Steak with Sweet Potato Fries, and Pizza. For all the recipe links and breakfast and lunch ideas check out her full menu.
Our Frugal Happy Life: Eating Gluten-Free on a Budget
Emily is taking advantage of the forecasted warm weather and grilling this week for dinner. She’s also planning Chicken Tacos with her homemade seasoning, Meatballs and Mashed Potatoes, and White Chicken Enchiladas.
Stop by each blogger’s site for the full menu and more recipe links. And don’t forget to check back later to see who else may be joining us with gluten-free menus to share.
Want to join Gluten-Free Menu Swap?
- For this week’s roundup, email your menu link to celiacfamily[AT]gmail[DOT]com. Or, simply put your menu link in the comments below.
- Next week’s roundup will be at Angela’s Kitchen with Rhubarb as the theme.
- The Gluten-Free Menu Swap Page has the current schedule of themes and hosts. If you’d like to host a future week, please send me an email (celiacfamily[AT]gmail[DOT]com) with your preferred date and theme.
Need more menu ideas?
- Laura at OrgJunkie.com hosts Menu Plan Monday every week. You’ll find links to hundreds of meal plans (not necessarily gluten-free) there.
- Or, check out some of my past menu plans.