I don’t eat beets. I’ve tried them a couple times, but was never really motivated to eat more. It did, however, get my attention at the market last week. I’ve heard people rave about eating them roasted or pickled, and even grilled. So, I thought I should take another look at this root vegetable.
According to this article at Mercola, beets have numerous health benefits: They can help lower blood pressure, increase stamina, fight inflammation, support detoxification, and more. So, I went looking for some new recipes and methods for cooking beets.
I found quite a variety of recipes to try:
- Arugula Salad with Boiled Beets and Goat Cheese, and Beet Greens with Bacon at Simply Recipes
- Basil Beet Salad at Simply Sugar and Gluten-Free
- Chocolate Beet Cupcakes at Momables
- Quick Pickled Beets recipe at Simply Gluten-Free
- Real Red Velvet Cupcakes at Jules Gluten-Free
- Roasted Balsamic Beets at Elana’s Pantry
- Roasted Beet Hummus at The Balanced Platter
- Roasted Beet Soup at Living Without
- And since it’s almost Easter, I thought I might try dyeing some Easter eggs naturally with beets, too. Directions at MarthaStewart.com.
Check below our menu plan for more gluten-free menus and ideas for including beets in your meals.
Tuesday – Chicken Apple Sausage, Fried Potatoes and Onions, Roasted Balsamic Beets
Wednesday – Grilled Steaks, Sweet Potato Fries, Beet Greens with Bacon
Thursday – Grilled Pork Chops, Rainbow Apple Salad
Friday – Grilled Tilapia, Cilantro Lime Rice
Saturday – Indian Chicken, Jasmine Rice, Green Beans
Sunday – leftovers
Gluten Free Menu Swap Roundup
The Gluten Free Week: Gluten-Free
Like me, Lori isn’t big on beets. But this week she is trying a new recipe from Jamie Oliver for Smoked Beets. She may even use the leftovers to make a beet hummus. In addition to those this week, she’ll be having Sirloin Steaks, Chicken Pho, Beef Stir-Fry, Black Bean Soup, Baked Potatoes, and Fish Sticks.
The Peaceful Mom: Simple Gluten-Free Menu
No beets in Kimberlee’s menu this week. She’ll be making Southwest Chicken Chili, Baked Potatoes, Baked Spicy Chicken Thighs, Fettuccine Alfredo, Taco Bowls, and Hot Dogs.
Mom’s Plans: Gluten-Free and Dairy-Free, and Paleo AIP Candida
No beets for Melissa this week either. Instead, she’s planning for Beef Roast with Potatoes, Pumpkin Chili with Turkey, Chicken Apple Sausage with Kale and Rice, Hamburgers, and Tuna Noodle Casserole.
Check back later to see who will be sharing with us their gluten-free menus and meal ideas with beets.
Want to join Gluten-Free Menu Swap?
- For this week’s roundup, email your menu link to celiacfamily[AT]gmail[DOT]com. Or, simply put your menu link in the comments below.
- Next week’s theme will be Eggs. The roundup will be posted at Celiac Family.
- The Gluten-Free Menu Swap Page has the current schedule of themes and hosts. If you’d like to host a future week, please send me an email (celiacfamily[AT]gmail[DOT]com) with your preferred date and theme.
Need more menu ideas?
- Laura at OrgJunkie.com hosts Menu Plan Monday every week. You’ll find links to hundreds of meal plans (not necessarily gluten-free) there.
- Or, check out some of my past menu plans.