Another favorite, quick and easy recipe of mine is this one for a berry fruit salad. It’s perfect for summertime, when berries are in season. I got this recipe from my sister, though I reduced the amount of sugar because I just didn’t think it needed that much. The balsamic vinegar does a great job of bringing out the flavors of the berries.
And because it’s naturally gluten-free, it makes a great dish to have at parties with Celiacs and non-Celiacs. (No special gluten-free flours or ingredients needed. Just double check that the vinegar is gluten-free. I’ve never found a balsamic vinegar that has gluten, but it’s always good to check.)
Berry Fruit Salad
1 pint strawberries, hulled and cut into bite-size pieces
1 pint blueberries
1 pint raspberries
1 pint blackberries
1 TBSP balsamic vinegar
2 TBSP sugar
- Clean and dry all the berries and put into a medium bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix the vinegar and sugar. Then pour over the berries and gently toss to coat.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes to an hour before serving.
- Use any berries that are fresh and in season. You can see in the picture above, I didn’t have raspberries to add in, but it was still delicious.
- If you’re taking this to a party where you probably won’t eat right away, consider taking the vinegar/sugar mix in a separate container. Then pour it over the fruit and toss to coat when you get to the party. Put it into the refrigerator until time to eat.
- This also works great for a gluten-free dessert. Add fresh whipped cream or pour over vanilla ice cream.
For more recipes with blueberries, check out Friday’s Foodie Fix at The W.H.O.L.E. Gang.