Diane at The W.H.O.L.E. Gang has started a new weekly recipe challenge, Friday Foodie Fix. This week’s featured ingredient is eggs. Perfect! My kids colored and decorated two dozen hard-boiled eggs this week for Easter. So, I’ve been thinking about what we’re going to do with all of them. With my parents visiting for spring break, we decided to make one of my dad’s favorite meals for breakfast: Creamed Eggs.
1 TBSP butter
1 TBSP rice flour (or other gluten-free flour)
salt & pepper to season
3/4 Cup milk
2 hard-boiled eggs, cut into small cubes
2 slices toast or English muffin (gluten-free variety, of course)
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Add in rice flour and mix thoroughly. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour milk into saucepan. Increase heat and stir frequently until the sauce thickens.
- Stir the eggs into the sauce.
- Pour the creamed eggs over toast or an English muffin. Sprinkle a dash of paprika on top.
- For cheesy creamed eggs, stir in 1/3 cup shredded or processed cheese to the thickened sauce and let it melt before adding the eggs.
- Consider adding a minced clove of garlic to the melted butter and saute before adding the flour.