- celiacfamily.com - http://celiacfamily.com -
Gifts for Celiacs or Those on a Gluten-Free Diet
Posted By Heather On December 19, 2009 @ 10:35 pm In Product Advisory | 3 Comments
Still doing some Christmas shopping? I have most of mine done, but I still have a few I need to get. If you are snowed in this weekend like I am, you can still order gifts online and have gifts arrive before Christmas! Just be sure to order on Amazon no later than Tuesday. (Although, Amazon’s Christmas Ordering Deadlines Page  indicates that they will ship Wednesday orders overnight, and in some cities will even deliver items ordered Christmas eve for same-day delivery!) So, here’s a list of ten last-minute gift ideas that I think anyone on a gluten-free diet would appreciate.
 1. Happy Tiffin – Have you seen these yet? My sister sent me one for my birthday this year. She said she thought it would be perfect for us to take our own gluten-free foods with us to food events: potlucks, school events, dinner parties, picnics, etc. She was right. We’ve used it while touring museums, to potlucks, and school events. She bought me the large one, which really holds a lot of food. If you are someone who likes to take food with you to parties so that you know it’s safe, you need to get one of these. Of course, it would be great to take lunch to work, too. Amazon carries similar containers with 2 and 3 tiers. Choose from a variety of shapes and sizes of To-Go Ware . For one like I have, go to Happy Tiffin  where they also have new insulated bags to keep your Tiffin (and food) hot or cold.
2. Breadmaker with a gluten-free setting – I’ve considered getting this for myself, but haven’t quite committed to it, yet. I certainly think it would be nice to have. They can be expensive, but what really concerns me is the amount of counter space it would take up. I found three on Amazon that have gluten-free settings: Breadman 2-Pound Convection Breadmaker  (on sale for $89); Cuisinart 2-Pound Convection Bread Maker  (on sale for $129); Zojirushi Home Bakery Supreme Bread Machine 
(on sale for $190). Do you have a bread maker? What are your thoughts about them?
3. The Gluten-Free Almond Flour Cookbook  – Written by Elana Amsterdam of Elana’s Pantry , this is one of the newest gluten-free cookbooks out this year. As the title suggests, it focuses on using almond flour instead of grain flours in the recipes. As a result, the recipes are low glycemic, low in cholesterol and dairy, and high in protein and fiber. If you are buying this for a friend, be aware that almond flour is not readily available in stores. Most people order almond flour online (Honeyville  or Nuts.com ).
4. Make It Fast, Cook It Slow  – Another new cookbook out this fall was written by blog author Stephanie O’dea  all about cooking using a slow-cooker, or Crock Pot. To get a sample of the recipes in this book, check out her website full of gluten-free slow-cooker meals. And, did I mention that all the recipes are gluten-free? New to the gluten-free diet? This book shows you that you can cook gluten-free for the whole family, even with a busy schedule!
5. Gluten Free Every Day  – This cookbook came out earlier this year. Author and chef, Robert Landolphi, learned to cook gluten-free meals when his wife was diagnosed with Celiac Disease. Just like the title says, these are foods to cook and eat everyday. Many of the recipes are familiar foods with a new twist. I’ve enjoyed all the recipes I’ve tried. Some of the recipes took more time than I have every night to cook, but the results were delicious.
6. BabyCakes  – This is a fun cookbook of cupcakes and treats from Erin McKenna’s New York bakery where she produces all the goodies in her cookbook. The cookbook is not exclusively gluten-free, but a lot of the recipes are gluten free, as well as vegan and sugar-free. This book is also new out this year.
7. Gluten-Free Baking Classics  – I originally bought this book because a friend recommended it for its pie crust recipe. The pie crust is amazingly wonderful, but it’s just the beginning. Author Annalise Roberts shares her great recipes for muffins, sweet breads, cookies, cakes, pies, bread, pizza crust, and more in this cookbook. I use the flour mix suggested in the book, and love to use it as an all-purpose gluten-free flour.
8. Bette Hagman’s The Gluten-Free Gourmet Cooks Comfort Foods  – Bette Hagman is well-respected for her many gluten-free cookbooks. She was one of the first to publish gluten-free cookbooks, and an inspiration for many other gluten-free cooks out there. The book has many great recipes, and tips for cooking with gluten-free flours.
9. Ratio  – This is not a cook book. It doesn’t have recipes and doesn’t focus on gluten-free foods and flours either. Instead it tells you how to combine ingredients in the right ratios to end up with a good food product. It gives you the confidence to experiment and create your own recipes.
10. The G-Free Diet - The book written by Elisabeth Hasselbeck. It’s new this year, so your celiac friends may not have it yet. This is not a cookbook. It is a personal book written about living gluten-free, with personal experiences and tips on how to make your gf lifestyle easier to maintain.
Article printed from celiacfamily.com: http://celiacfamily.com
URL to article: http://celiacfamily.com/gifts-for-celiacs-or-those-on-a-gluten-free-diet/
URLs in this post:
 Image: http://pinterest.com/pin/create/button/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fceliacfamily.com%2Fgifts-for-celiacs-or-those-on-a-gluten-free-diet%2F&media=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.assoc-amazon.com%2Fe%2Fir%3Ft%3Dcelifami-20%26amp%3Bl%3Dur2%26amp%3Bo%3D1&description=Gifts%20for%20Celiacs%20or%20Those%20on%20a%20Gluten-Free%20Diet
 Amazon’s Christmas Ordering Deadlines Page: http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fgp%2Fhelp%2Fcustomer%2Fdisplay.html%3Fie%3DUTF8%26nodeId%3D4114671&tag=celifami-20&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=390957
 Image: http://celiacfamily.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/IMG_4983x.jpg
 Image: http://celiacfamily.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/IMG_4981x.jpg
 To-Go Ware: http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fs%3Fie%3DUTF8%26redirect%3Dtrue%26ref_%3Dsr%255Fnr%255Fn%255F1%26keywords%3Dto-go%2520ware%26bbn%3D284507%26qid%3D1260661381%26rnid%3D284507%26rh%3Dn%253A1055398%252Ck%253Ato-go%2520ware%252Cp%255F4%253ATo-Go%2520Ware%252Cp%255F6%253AATVPDKIKX0DER%252Cn%253A%25211063498%252Cn%253A284507%252Cn%253A510136&tag=celifami-20&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=390957
 Happy Tiffin: http://www.happytiffin.com/
 Breadman 2-Pound Convection Breadmaker: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BXD5WQ?ie=UTF8&tag=celifami-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000BXD5WQ
 Cuisinart 2-Pound Convection Bread Maker: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009VELTQ?ie=UTF8&tag=celifami-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0009VELTQ
 Zojirushi Home Bakery Supreme Bread Machine: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000T6J3I?ie=UTF8&tag=celifami-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0000T6J3I
 Image: http://celiacfamily.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/51LJ8HVkaRL._SL160_.jpg
 The Gluten-Free Almond Flour Cookbook: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/158761345X?ie=UTF8&tag=celifami-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=158761345X
 Elana’s Pantry: http://www.elanaspantry.com/
 Honeyville: http://celiacfamily.comwww.store.honeyvillegrain.com
 Nuts.com: http://www.nuts.com
 Image: http://celiacfamily.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/511QmKZCVYL._SL160_.jpg
 Make It Fast, Cook It Slow: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1401310044?ie=UTF8&tag=celifami-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=1401310044
 blog author Stephanie O’dea: http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/
 Image: http://celiacfamily.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/51IhT+-MLKL._SL160_.jpg
 Gluten Free Every Day: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0740778137?ie=UTF8&tag=celifami-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=0740778137
 Image: http://celiacfamily.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/517ZqlnlRmL._SL160_.jpg
 BabyCakes: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0307408833?ie=UTF8&tag=celifami-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=0307408833
 Image: http://celiacfamily.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/51D8WdPxxvL._SL160_.jpg
 Gluten-Free Baking Classics: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1572840994?ie=UTF8&tag=celifami-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=1572840994
 Image: http://celiacfamily.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/51P42FATXFL._SL160_.jpg
 The Gluten-Free Gourmet Cooks Comfort Foods: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0805078088?ie=UTF8&tag=celifami-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=0805078088
 Image: http://celiacfamily.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/51XpcgFafiL._SL160_1.jpg
 Ratio: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1416566112?ie=UTF8&tag=celifami-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=1416566112
 Image: http://celiacfamily.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/51AiDZYDGTL._SL160_.jpg
 The G-Free Diet: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1599951886?ie=UTF8&tag=celifami-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=1599951886
Copyright © 2009 celiacfamily.com. All rights reserved.