I’ve really enjoyed exploring new meals and recipes using fresh herbs this month. Fresh herbs really add so much to a meal. Dried herbs are convenient, and the flavor a little more concentrated, but fresh herbs make meals taste… well, just like that — fresh!
Basil is probably the one herb I’ve had the most success with growing in the kitchen. I’ve used an AeroGarden in the past, but right now I just have a pot of it on the kitchen counter. As long as I don’t let it get too tall, and keep pinching off the top leaves, it keeps growing for me. Of course, it needs plenty of water and sunlight, too.
As for adding to meals and recipes: Basil is often added to pasta salads and Italian dishes at our house. While searching online, I found Basil in a variety of Gluten-Free Recipes:
- Cauliflower Rice with Basil, Parmesan, and Pine Nuts at Kalyn’s Kitchen
- Cream of Tomato and Basil Soup at The Healthful Hoard
- Creamy Fig and Basil Pasta at Heidi Kristoffer
- Easy Lemon and Basil Pesto at I Breathe…I’m Hungry
- Grilled Salmon with Basil and Green Onions at The Heritage Cook
- Lemon Basil Cookies at Elana’s Pantry
- Raspberry Basil Syrup for Banana Oat Pancakes at Strum Simmer Sip
- Tomato Basil Frittata at She Knows
To what meals and recipes do you like to add basil? Don’t forget to check below our menu for more gluten-free menus, meals, and recipes with Fresh Basil from our gluten-free blogging friends.
Celiac Family’s Menu This Week:
Monday – Chicken Spaghetti with Fresh Basil using leftover or Rotisserie Chicken
Thursday – Eating Out: Chipotle
Friday –Italian Chicken, Red Potato and Green Bean Salad with Fresh Basil
Saturday – Pizza, Spinach Salad
Sunday – leftovers
Gluten Free Menu Swap Roundup
The Girl Who Couldn’t Eat Anything: eating without Gluten, Dairy, Peanuts, Oats, or Meat
Elisabeth likes to use Basil in a marinade for Vegetable Kabobs. For dinners this week, she’s planning Potato Chip Fish, Chipotle Beans & Rice, Tuna Fish Apple Salad, Quinoa Salad, Quesadillas, and Pizza. For recipe links and more meal ideas, check out her full menu plan for this week.
Angela’s Kitchen: Gluten-Free and Dairy-Free Menu
Angela uses Basil in a lot of meals. In fact, you should check her full menu post this week, because there are so many to list! Just some of them are listed here: Gluten Free Margherita Pizza, Italian Beef Sandwich Filling, Green Goddess Dip or Dressing, Italian Seasoning, Eggplant Caponata, Gluten & Dairy Free Stromboli, Cucumber Salad, Spicy Thai Pumpkin Soup, and Dairy Free Pesto. Dinners at Angela’s house this week will be Slow Cooker Ribs, Pizza Sloppy Joes, Crock Pot Fajitas, Shrimp Pad Thai with Broccoli, and Oven “Fried” Basil Chicken.
Come back later to check this week’s post and see who else may be sharing their gluten-free menus, recipe links, and ideas for including Fresh Basil in meals.
Want to join Gluten-Free Menu Swap?
- For this week’s roundup, email your menu link to celiacfamily[AT]gmail[DOT]com. Or, simply put your menu link in the comments below.
- Join us next week for sharing gluten-free menus and recipes with Apricots.
- The Gluten-Free Menu Swap Page has the current schedule of themes and hosts. If you’d like to host a future week, please send me an email (celiacfamily[AT]gmail[DOT]com) with your preferred date and theme. We welcome suggested themes, too!
Need more menu ideas?
- Laura at OrgJunkie.com hosts Menu Plan Monday every week. You’ll find links to hundreds of meal plans (not necessarily gluten-free) there.
- Or, check out some of my past menu plans.