This month at the Gluten-Free Menu Swap, we’re focusing on eating a rainbow of produce. We’re starting the month on the purple side of the rainbow with Eggplant as the theme.
“Eating a Rainbow” has become an easy way to convey the healthy concept of eating a variety of different colored fruits and vegetables. The nutrition experts tell us it’s not enough to just eat fruits and vegetables. Eating a rainbow, or a variety of different colored produce, everyday is a better way to ensure that you’re getting all the vitamins and minerals your body needs into your diet. It’s also a great way to encourage kids to eat a variety of fruits and vegetables. Bananas and carrots are good foods to eat, but without greens and other colors of produce, they probably aren’t getting all the nutrition they need. The color of the fruit or vegetable is a good indication of the vitamins and minerals it contains. Purple Eggplant contains Vitamins B1, B3, B6, and K as well as Copper, Manganese, and Potassium.
Eggplant is a nightshade vegetable that is very versatile, and is found in cooking around the world: Greece, China, Turkey, India, Italy, Spain, etc. Thus, you’ll find it in a very diverse selection of recipes. We don’t eat a lot of eggplant at my house. In fact, I can’t even remember the last time I bought it. So, I went looking for some inspiration. I found some great new recipes to try!
- Baked Eggplant Fries with Goat Cheese Dip at Gourmande in the Kitchen
- Crispy Baked Eggplant at The Fountain Avenue Kitchen
- Eggplant Pizzas at Oatmeal with a Fork
- Roasted Eggplant with Spinach, Quinoa, and Feta at Julia’s Album
- Roasted Eggplant and White Bean Soup at Dishing Up the Dirt
- Eggplant Curry with Green Peas at Gaiam Life
- Italian-Paleo Eggplant with Crumbled Beef, Tomatoes, and Mint at Gluten-Free Goddess
- Vegan Eggplant Parmesan at the Minimalist Baker
- Vegan Eggplant Lasagna (complete with recipe for vegan ricotta) at Gluten Free if You Please
- Asian Meatballs with Stir-Fried Eggplant at I Breathe… I’m Hungry
Don’t forget to check below our menu for more gluten-free menus, meals, and recipes with Eggplant.
Celiac Family’s Menu This Week:
Monday – White Chicken Chili with Rice
Tuesday – Hamburgers with Baked Eggplant Fries and Roasted Broccoli
Wednesday –Asian Meatballs with Stir-Fried Eggplant and Rice
Thursday – Pork Chops, Red Potato and Green Bean Salad
Saturday – Fried Chicken, Mashed Potatoes, Rainbow Apple Salad
Sunday – leftovers
Gluten Free Menu Swap Roundup
Angela’s Kitchen: Gluten-Free and Dairy-Free Menu
Angela says she cooks eggplant quite a bit during the summer. I love her idea of simply brushing slices of eggplant with olive oil and garlic and grilling it. She also uses it as a pizza topping and in ratatouille. Check out her eggplant recipes for Baked Eggplant Zucchini Spaghetti and Eggplant Caponata. Her family’s dinners this week will be Slow-Cooker Barbecue Chicken, Southwest Sloppy Joes, Salmon and Asparagus Frittata, and Pulled Pork Sandwiches.
Gluten Free Always Blog: Gluten-Free
Melissa is working on recipes for gluten-free, dairy-free, and refined sugar-free chocolates. We look forward to those recipes! On her dinner plans this week are Pizza Pasta Casserole, Pot Roast, Polish Sausage, Sweet n Sour Chicken, Burgers, Chicken Tacos, and Red Chicken Chili.
Come back later to check this week’s post and see who else may be sharing their gluten-free menus, recipe links, and ideas for including Eggplant in meals.
Want to join Gluten-Free Menu Swap?
- For this week’s roundup, email your menu link to celiacfamily[AT]gmail[DOT]com. Or, simply put your menu link in the comments below.
- Join us next week for sharing gluten-free menus and recipes with Blueberries.
- The Gluten-Free Menu Swap Page has the current schedule of themes and hosts. If you’d like to host a future week, please send me an email (celiacfamily[AT]gmail[DOT]com) with your preferred date and theme. We welcome suggested themes, too!
Need more menu ideas?