Fennel is the theme for the Gluten-Free Menu Swap this week. Fennel is new to me. Well, not exactly new. I’m familiar with the mild licorice or anise flavor. And, I’m not new to using Fennel Seed in recipes. But, I can’t recall ever buying fresh fennel. So, I figured it was about time I tried it.
I went looking for some inspirational gluten-free recipes, and I found plenty of them online. Some of the recipes I found call for fresh fennel, and some call for using fennel seeds. I even found some recipes that were a a little surprising. I’m looking forward to trying some of them this week and throughout the season.
Recipes using fresh, raw fennel:
- Apple Fennel Salad with Tarragon Viniagrette (also has prep tips) at Gluten-Free Gigi
- Celery, Fennel, and Green Apple Salad at Daily Bites
- Citrus, Fennel, and Rosemary Olives at MyRecipes
- Fennel and Apple Slaw at Cavegirl Cuisine
- Fennel and Carrot Slaw from Healthful Pursuit shared at Ricki Heller
- Fennel, Cucumber, and Mint Salad at Tartelette
- Grapefruit Fennel Fix Smoothie from The Blender Girl shared at Mama Balance
- Grilled Swordfish with Orange Fennel Salad at Simply Gluten-Free
Recipes that cook fresh fennel:
- Caramelized Fennel, Beet, and Orange Pizza at Jenn Cuisine
- Caramelized Fennel and Onion Risotto at The Sensitive Pantry
- Chickpea, Fennel, and Swiss Chard Stew at Simply Sugar and Gluten-Free
- Creamy Potato and Fennel Soup with Crispy Un-Sausage Topping (vegan) at Delish Knowledge
- Fennel Apple Soup at Elana’s Pantry
- Fennel and Chicken Sausage Stuffing at Udi’s Gluten Free
- Fennel Cupcakes with Beet Frosting (fennel, seeds, and anise extract) at Dave Bakes
- Fennel and Sausage Pasta Salad at Delallo
- Greek Meatballs at Wellness Mama
Recipes with Fennel Seeds only:
- Stuffed Mushroom Caps with Fennel and Sage at Robust Recipes
- Orange Fennel Cakes at The Vintage Mixer
- Fennel Seed Star Cookies (with candy-coated fennel seeds) at Allyson Kramer
Don’t forget to check below our menu for more gluten-free menus, meals, and ideas for including fennel in your meals.
Celiac Family’s Menu This Week:
Monday – White Chicken Chili with rice
Wednesday – Gumbo with Rice and Garlic Bread
Thursday – Fennel and Sausage Pasta Salad
Friday – French Bread Pizza, Celery, Fennel, and Green Apple Salad
Saturday – Pigs In a Blanket with leftovers
Sunday – Bacon-wrapped Chicken Tenders, Caramelized Fennel and Onion Risotto, Roasted Broccoli
Gluten Free Menu Swap Roundup
Gluten Free Always Blog: Gluten-Free
Melissa has a delicious menu lined up for this week. She’s starting the week with Smoky Chipotle Chili Cheese Mac, Mongolian Beef, and a Rice Bake. She’ll continue the week with Bean and Cheese Enchiladas, Salmon Patties, Honey Lime Chicken Tacos, and a warming Loaded Baked Potato Soup.
The Girl Who Couldn’t Eat Anything: eating without Gluten, Dairy, Peanuts, Oats, or Meat
Elisabeth says she doesn’t use fresh fennel, but has used fennel seed to season sausage. For dinners this week, she’ll be making Paleo Pumpkin Waffles, Easy Clam Chowder, Sweet Potato and Bean Enchiladas, Chipotle Copy Cat Beans and Rice, and Pizza.
Mom’s Plans: Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, and Corn-Free
Melissa is working with a tight grocery budget, but still manages to come up with tasty, filling meals. This week it will be Rustic Bacon and Pumpkin Soup, Slow-Cooker Sloppy Joe’s, Chicken Pot Pie, Paleo Chili, Slow Cooker Pumpkin Chili, and Tuna Noodle Casserole.
Check back later to see who else may be sharing their gluten-free menus, recipe links, and ideas for Fennel this week.
Want to join Gluten-Free Menu Swap?
- For this week’s roundup, email your menu link to celiacfamily[AT]gmail[DOT]com. Or, simply put your menu link in the comments below.
- Join us next week for sharing gluten-free menus and ideas for gluten-free meals with Pumpkin.
- The Gluten-Free Menu Swap Page has the current schedule of themes and hosts. If you’d like to host a future week, please send me an email (celiacfamily[AT]gmail[DOT]com) with your preferred date and theme.
Need more menu ideas?