Last week, we gave you some ideas about choosing a Gluten-Free Turkey, but now we need to make sure the gravy is gluten-free, too! It’s not as difficult as you may think.
Bon Apetit’s Test Kitchen has a great article online called How to Make Gluten-Free Gravy Taste Good. The article lists three different methods for making gravy. I make gravy at our house using the first option of using a cornstarch slurry instead of flour for thickening. That works good for us. The article also lists Arrowroot and King Arthur’s gluten-free flour as alternative options.
Need a gluten-free gravy recipe? Try one of these:
- Gravy recipe at Nourishing Meals uses sweet rice flour or arrowroot powder.
- Gravy recipe at Simply Gluten Free uses starch, stock, wine, heavy cream, etc.
- Mushroom Gravy recipe at The Splendid Table uses olive oil, mushrooms, cornstarch, etc.
- Sausage Gravy recipe at Gluten-Free Homemaker uses bulk sausage, sweet rice flour, almond milk, etc.
- Turkey Gravy recipe at Chef Janet uses rice flour, stock, herbs, etc.
- Turkey Gravy recipe at Gluten-Free on a Shoestring uses a mix of flours (without xanthan gum), butter, etc.
Want to purchase a gluten-free mix to help you along the way?
- Abundant Life Foods makes Beef, Chicken, Mushroom, Pork, Tomato, and Turkey Gravy Mixes, as well as Alfredo and Cheese sauces that are all gluten-free.
- Butterball says the gravy packets that come with their turkeys are gluten-free.
- Maxwell’s Kitchen makes Gluten-Free Gravy Mixes: Brown, Chicken, and Turkey.
- Mayacamas Fine Foods makes Gluten-Free Gravy mixes — Brown, Chicken, Savory Herbs, and Turkey.
- McCormick’s now makes a Gluten-Free Turkey Gravy Mix, as well as other gluten-free seasoning and sauce mixes.
- Orgran makes a Vegetarian Gravy Mix that is gluten-free.
You can even buy gluten-free prepared gravies and sauces. Imagine makes Turkey, Beef, and Vegetarian Wild Mushroom Gravies, as well as simmer sauces, that are all gluten-free.
Celiac Family’s Menu This Week:
For our menu plan this week, I’ll be using a cornstarch slurry to thicken the Teriyaki sauce, the Gumbo, and the gravy for chicken-fried steak and mashed potatoes.
Monday – Teriyaki Chicken Tenders, Jasmine Rice, Steamed Green Beans
Wednesday – Hamburgers, Sweet Potato fries, Yellow Squash
Thursday – Rotisserie Chicken, Daiya Cheezy Mac with Veggies
Friday – Chicken Chili with Avocado and Corn Tortillas
Saturday – Chicken Fried Steak with Gravy, Mashed Potatoes, Broccoli
Sunday – Baked Salmon with a Balsamic Glaze, Quinoa with leftover veggies
Gluten Free Menu Swap Roundup
Come back later to check this week’s post and see who else may be sharing their gluten-free menus, recipe links, and ideas for making gravy.
Want to join Gluten-Free Menu Swap?
- For this week’s roundup, email your menu link to celiacfamily[AT]gmail[DOT]com. Or, simply put your menu link in the comments below.
- Join us next week for sharing gluten-free menus, recipes, and ideas for gluten-free Pies!
- The Gluten-Free Menu Swap Page has the current schedule of themes and hosts. If you’d like to host a future week, please send me an email (celiacfamily[AT]gmail[DOT]com) with your preferred date and theme. We welcome suggested themes, too!
Need more menu ideas?
- Laura at OrgJunkie.com hosts Menu Plan Monday every week. You’ll find links to hundreds of meal plans (not necessarily gluten-free) there.
- Or, check out some of my past menu plans.