We’re starting a new theme for the Gluten-Free Menu Swap this week. From now through the end of the year, we’ll be sharing meals, ideas, and recipe links to focus on staying healthy this holiday season.
The holidays are always a wonderful time for getting together with family and friends. And that also means lots of eating and drinking while celebrating Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year, etc. After a busy, and sometimes stressful, holiday season with a lot of indulgent foods, I usually end up feeling fatigued and sluggish with an irritable digestive system. Every year I say I’m going to do better, but somehow I still end up feeling the effects of too much stress, too much sugar, too much fat, too many carbs, etc.
Last year, to make it even worse, I found myself relying on old recipes with lots of sugar. This year, I am getting prepared with healthier recipes and ingredients to keep cravings to a minimum. I want to feel the satisfaction of comfort foods without feeling the bloat and uncomfortable feeling of overindulging. This week, I’ll start by making sure I have some alternative ingredients available for making holiday favorites, treats, and sweets. Here are some of the products I sometimes buy as replacements for the usual ingredients to help us stay gluten-free, dairy-free, and sugar-free.
Gluten-Free Flour Products:
Gluten-Free Alternative Dairy-Free Products:
- Almond Milk – I like to buy unsweetened original for baking, cereal, etc.
- Almond Dream Ice Cream
- Coconut Milk – I buy full fat as a replacement for cream and half and half in recipes.
- Daiya Cheese, Yogurt, and Cheesecake
- So Delicious Coco Whip! Coconut Whipped Topping
- Toffutti Cream Cheese and Sour Cream
- Coconut Oil, Shortening, and Vegan Butter Sticks for butter alternatives
Gluten-Free Sweeteners without Refined Sugar:
Allergen-Free Chocolate: Energy Life Dark Morsels, Mini Chips, and Mega Chunks for baking and melting
Celiac Family’s Menu This Week:
Monday – Grilled Flank Steak, Roasted Root Veggies and Cauliflower
Tuesday – Chicken Tacos with Avocado Salsa
Wednesday – Pulled Pork Sandwiches, Roasted Sweet Potatoes, Zucchini
Thursday – Chili and Cornbread
Friday – Crispy Fish Sticks, Pumpkin Fries, Peas
Saturday – Pork Tenderloin, Quinoa with Broccoli and Mushrooms
Sunday – leftovers
Gluten Free Menu Swap Roundup
The Girl Who Couldn’t Eat Anything: eating without Gluten, Dairy, Peanuts, Oats, or Meat
Elizabeth’s menu plan this week has dairy-free soups, using Daiya cheeze as her favorite alternative. She’ll be making Potato Soup, Pancakes with apple butter, Cheddar Chowder, and Roasted Salmon.
Come back later to check this week’s post and see who else may be sharing their gluten-free menus, recipe links, and ideas for winter produce.
Want to join Gluten-Free Menu Swap?
- For this week’s roundup, email your menu link to celiacfamily[AT]gmail[DOT]com. Or, simply put your menu link in the comments below.
- The Gluten-Free Menu Swap Page has the current schedule of themes and hosts. If you’d like to host a future week, please send me an email (celiacfamily[AT]gmail[DOT]com) with your preferred date and theme. We welcome suggested themes, too!
Need more menu ideas?
- Laura at Orgjunkie.com hosts Menu Plan Monday every week. You’ll find links to hundreds of meal plans (not necessarily gluten-free) there.
- Or, check out some of my past menu plans.