We’re continuing Healthy Through the Holidays theme for the Gluten-Free Menu Swap. This week we’ve found some immune boosting foods to help us succeed with that mission.
We all got our flu shots, but that doesn’t mean we won’t pick up a cold or virus this season. So, I’m going to make sure we’ve got some immune boosting foods in our meals to help us fight off any cold that might come our way. Check out some of these foods to make sure you’re getting all the vitamins and minerals your body needs.
Gluten-Free Cranberries: Perfect for the season, these little gems contain a good amount of Vitamin C, but are perhaps better known for their phytonutrients, anti-oxidants, and anti-inflammatory properties. Most of the anti-oxidants are found in the skin of raw cranberries, so consider finding uses for raw cranberries in your meals instead of sugar-filled juice or dried.
- Cranberry Muffins (GF, DF) @ Divine Health From the Inside Out
- Cranberry Sauce (GF, DF, P, V) @ The Healthy GF Life
- Hibiscus Cranberry Crush with Mint Foam (GF, DF, P, V) @ Hallmark Channel
- Honey-Cranberry Chicken with Orange-Paprika Rice (GF, DF, P) @ Clean Eating Magazine
- Wild Rice, Kale, and Cranberry Pilaf (GF, DF, P, V) @ Nourishing Meals
Gluten-Free Garlic: Garlic always adds such a great flavor and aroma to a meal, but it also provides great nutrition. According to Nutrition and You, “Garlic cloves have amazingly high levels of vitamins and minerals. Just 100 g provides (in % of recommended daily allowance): 95% of vitamin B-6 (pyridoxine), 52% of vitamin C, 21% of iron, 18% of calcium,” and more. It has long been used for its anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, and antiviral properties.
- Healing Paleo Chicken Soup (GF, DF, P) @ Living Well Mom
- Lemon Garlic Thyme Chicken (GF, DF, P) @ Gluten Free Always Blog
- Mushroom and Garlic Saute (GF, DF, P, V) @ Julia’s Album
- Roasted Garlic White Bean Dip (GF, DF, P, V) @ Lauren Kelly Nutrition
- Vegan Roasted Garlic and Potato Soup (GF, DF, P, V) @ The Blender Girl
Gluten-Free Ginger Root: Ginger root acts as a wonderful immune booster by acting as a detoxifying agent. According to The World’s Healthiest Foods, it’s also an anti-inflammatory and helps relieve gastrointestinal distress.
- Anti-Inflammatory Ginger Tea (GF, DF, P, V) @ Gluten Free Gigi
- Fresh Ginger Cake (GF, DF) @ Simple Gluten Free Kitchen
- General Tso’s Meatballs (GF, DF, P) @ I Breathe…I’m Hungry
- Orange Ginger Chicken (GF, DF, P) @ Elana’s Pantry
- Paleo Butter Chicken (GF, P) @ My Heart Beets
More Immune Boosters to Consider:
Celiac Family’s Menu This Week:
Monday – Hamburger Patties with Spinach and Tomato, Roasted Sweet Potatoes
Wednesday – Chicken Apple Sausage, Red Potato & Green Bean Salad
Thursday – Grilled Chicken, Mushroom and Garlic Saute, Steamed Broccoli
Friday – Pizza, Spinach and Citrus Salad
Sunday – leftovers
Gluten Free Menu Swap Roundup
Gluten Free Always Blog: Gluten-Free
Melissa has some yummy meals planned for the week. Included in her menu is Chilaquiles, Chicken Italiano, Papusas,
Sweet and Sour chicken, Sloppy Joes, Bacon Wrapped Chicken, and Lasagna Soup.
Come back later to check this week’s post and see who else may be sharing their gluten-free menus, recipe links, and ideas for winter produce.
Want to join Gluten-Free Menu Swap?
- For this week’s roundup, email your menu link to celiacfamily[AT]gmail[DOT]com. Or, simply put your menu link in the comments below.
- The Gluten-Free Menu Swap Page has the current schedule of themes and hosts. If you’d like to host a future week, please send me an email (celiacfamily[AT]gmail[DOT]com) with your preferred date and theme. We welcome suggested themes, too!
Need more menu ideas?
- Laura at Orgjunkie.com hosts Menu Plan Monday every week. You’ll find links to hundreds of meal plans (not necessarily gluten-free) there.
- Or, check out some of my past menu plans.