Gluten Free in School
Helping our kids stay gluten free in school isn’t always easy. Some schools are better prepared for dealing with food allergies and restrictions. And some teachers and room parents are more open to accommodating them. Here are some of the articles I have written about navigating the school year — including sample letters to teacher/nurse, ideas for snack food at school, recipes and ideas for classroom celebrations, and gluten-free crafts.
Explaining Celiac Disease to School Officials and Other Parents
These letters are samples only, and are meant for you to revise to fit your own needs. They will open in Google Docs. You can copy text, or save as another document and make your own updates.
- Sample Letter to Teacher/School – ideas to get the communication started with the teacher/school
- Sample Letter to Teacher about older kid – for families with students who are more independent and can read ingredients to make their own decisions about what foods are gluten free
- Sample Letter to Other Parents – great for preschools and classes that have a snack sharing or rotation policy; also works for sports teams, church groups, scouts, etc.
- Mommy, What Is Celiac Disease? - a review of a book that helps explain Celiac Disease to children (and adults!)
Gluten-Free Food at School
- Gluten-Free Care Package - ideas for what to include in a Gluten-Free Care Package kept at school
- 100-Day Celebration Snack Mix - ideas for gluten-free food items to add to a snack mix
- Gluten-Free Snacks for School – ideas of gluten-free food to send for snacks at school
- Gluten-Free Lunchbox Solutions
- Gluten-Free Snacks to Pack
- Gluten-Free Sandwich Bread – my kids’ favorite mix for freshly baked bread
- Sandwich Bread Alternatives – Skip the bread, and try these ideas for the lunch box instead.
- Gluten-Free Animal Cookies – a review of four different brands of animal cookies
- Food Containers for Transport – covered plates and cupcake holders
Gluten-Free Class Party Food Recipes and Ideas
- Sugar Cookies – recipe for cut-out cookies
- Gluten-Free King Cake – fun treat for Mardi Gras or any occasion
- Valentine Party Treats – ideas for making gluten-free treats for a classroom Valentine Party
- Brownie Pops Flower Bouquet - easy directions for making brownie pops into flowers
- Fruit Kabobs – make in advance or let the kids make them with their favorite fruit
- Rainbow Fruit Kabobs – using the right color fruit, make it a rainbow with a pot of gold (Rolos) at the end!
- Chocolate Eggs in a Cookie Basket – fun treat for springtime or Easter
- Thanksgiving Celebration – ideas for classroom treats and table decorations
- Gingerbread Houses – using pre-made gluten-free cookies and recipe for frosting/glue
- Christmas Meringue Cookies – use meringue to make Snowmen and Christmas Tree Cookies
Gluten-Free Craft Recipes
- Gluten-Free Play Dough - recipe for gluten-free play dough
- Gluten-Free Cinnamon Dough Ornaments – craft recipe for school activity or to give as gifts to teachers, etc.
- GAK – recipe for gooey, stretchy, fun goop to play with
- Thanksgiving Celebration - ideas for fun and easy kids’ table decorations
- Buying Craft Supplies – buy gluten-free craft supplies, including play dough at Discount School Supply