Thanks to last month’s quick and easy dinners, we made it through the first weeks of school, and are starting to settle into a routine.
Now it’s time to shake things up with a few new foods and recipes so we don’t get bored. We’re starting the month with Okra as the theme for the Gluten-Free Menu Swap.
Recently, I saw a man sifting and sorting through a basket of okra at a local market. I wondered what he was going to do with the okra –Bread it and fry it, maybe? Pickle it? Add it to some Gumbo? I didn’t get around to asking him, but it got me wondering what more you could do with this veggie. So, I did some looking around the internet again.
Here are some gluten-free recipes with Okra that I found:
- Andouille Sausage and Shrimp Jambalaya with Okra (GF, DF) at Gluten-Free and More
- Chicken, Sausage, and Shrimp Gumbo with Okra (GF, DF) at CeliacFamily
- Crispy Spiced Cauliflower and Okra (GF, DF, Vegan) at One Green Planet
- Easiest Ever Okra Etouffee (GF, DF, Vegan) at Veg Charlotte
- Fried Okra (GF) at Simply Sugar and Gluten-Free
- Healthy Oven-Fried Okra (GF, DF) at Gluten-Free Gigi
- Okra Fritters (GF) at The Seasoned Homemaker
- Okra Popcorn (GF, DF, Paleo, Vegan) at Gluten Free Easily
- Pickled Okra (GF, DF, Vegan) from Alton Brown
- Summer Succotash (GF, DF, Vegan) at Veggie Fixation
Don’t forget to check below our menu for more gluten-free menus, meals, recipes, and ideas for eating okra from our gluten-free blogging friends.
Celiac Family’s Menu This Week:
Monday –Chicken, Sausage, and Shrimp Gumbo with Okra, rice
Tuesday –Chicken Fajitas with marinated chicken, onions, and peppers, corn tortillas
Wednesday – Grilled Flank Steak,Crispy Spiced Cauliflower and Okra
Thursday – Broiled Parmesan Tilapia, sautéed squash with basil
Friday – Pizza, Summer Succotash
Saturday – leftovers
Sunday – BBQ Chicken Wings, Okra Popcorn
Gluten Free Menu Swap Roundup
The Girl Who Couldn’t Eat Anything: eating without Gluten, Dairy, Peanuts, Oats, or Meat
Elisabeth says she’s only eaten okra in veggie soup mixes. I don’t see any in her menu this week, but she has plenty of other interesting meals to share: Burgers, Spaghetti & Meat sauce, Bacon/Mushroom Frittata, Clam Chowder, Steak Sandwiches, Balsamic Pork Chops, and Pizza. Check out her full menu for lunch and breakfast ideas, too!
Gluten Free Detroit Metro: Gluten-Free Menu
Amanda has some bad childhood memories of eating okra, so she’s a little apprehensive about trying it again. But she found a recipe for Beef and Okra that she’s going to try. She’s also looking for tips for ways to keep the veggie from getting slimy. (Feel free to share your tips in the comments!) Also on her menu this week is Sausage and Peppers, Baked Chicken, Slow-cooker Pork Loin and Apples, Hawaiian Sliders, and eating out at Wild Red Wings.
Come back later to check this week’s post and see who else may be sharing their gluten-free menus, recipe links, and ideas for eating okra.
Want to join Gluten-Free Menu Swap?
- For this week’s roundup, email your menu link to celiacfamily[AT]gmail[DOT]com. Or, simply put your menu link in the comments below.
- Join us next week for sharing gluten-free menus, recipes, and ideas for eating pomegranates.
- The Gluten-Free Menu Swap Page has the current schedule of themes and hosts. If you’d like to host a future week, please send me an email (celiacfamily[AT]gmail[DOT]com) with your preferred date and theme. We welcome suggested themes, too!
Need more menu ideas?
- Laura at OrgJunkie.com hosts Menu Plan Monday every week. You’ll find links to hundreds of meal plans (not necessarily gluten-free) there.
- Or, check out some of my past menu plans.