I found quince at the grocery store recently and was intrigued. I probably would’ve assumed it was a variety of apple if it didn’t have a sign above it explaining the fruit.
Similar in looks to a pear or apple, it is actually too hard and tart to eat raw. Instead it needs to be poached or stewed to soften the flesh and mellow the acidity. It is often made into jam or paste. Most recipes I found were desserts made with poached quince. I thought it was interesting to find out that the flesh will turn pink after cooking.
Here are some gluten-free quince recipes I found online:
- Apple Quince Pie (GF) at Gluten-Free Bay
- Cherry Quince Turnovers (GF) at Wheat-Free Meat-Free
- Ginger, Vanilla, and Quince Upside Down Cake (GF) at Bojon Gourmet
- Oven Roasted Quince (GF, DF, Vegan) at Seasonal Sunday Lunch
- Poached Quince Salad (GF) at Fine Cooking
- Quince Jelly (GF, DF, Vegan) at Simply Recipes
- Quince Paste, aka Membrillo (GF, DF, Vegan) at Vegetarian Times
- Rosy Poached Quince (GF, DF, Vegan) at Devid Lebovitz
- Spiced Quince Crumbles (GF) at Tartelette
Don’t forget to check below our menu for more gluten-free menus, meals, recipes, and ideas for eating quince from our gluten-free blogging friends.
Celiac Family’s Menu This Week:
Monday – Chili and Cornbread
Tuesday – Teriyaki Chicken, Rice, Broccoli
Wednesday – Spaghetti and Meatballs, Poached Quince Salad
Friday – Hamburgers, Fries, Poached Quince
Saturday – leftovers
Sunday – Chicken Wings, Baked Potatoes
Gluten Free Menu Swap Roundup
Mom’s Plans: Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free
If your weather is starting to cool down (or not!), and you’re looking for some soup recipes, Melissa has them this week. She’s making Polish Sausage Dump Soup, Easy Smoked Spinach Bean Soup, Slow Simmer Beef Stew, and Oxtail Soup. She’s also planning on Eye of Round Roast, Spaghetti, and Hidden Liver Meatloaf. Check out her site for all the recipe links.
Come back later to check this week’s post and see who else may be sharing their gluten-free menus, recipe links, and ideas for eating quince.
Want to join Gluten-Free Menu Swap?
- For this week’s roundup, email your menu link to celiacfamily[AT]gmail[DOT]com. Or, simply put your menu link in the comments below.
- Join us next week for sharing gluten-free menus, recipes, and ideas for eating quince.
- The Gluten-Free Menu Swap Page has the current schedule of themes and hosts. If you’d like to host a future week, please send me an email (celiacfamily[AT]gmail[DOT]com) with your preferred date and theme. We welcome suggested themes, too!
Need more menu ideas?
- Laura at OrgJunkie.com hosts Menu Plan Monday every week. You’ll find links to hundreds of meal plans (not necessarily gluten-free) there.
- Or, check out some of my past menu plans.