We’re continuing with the Spring Vegetables theme at the Gluten-Free Menu Swap this month.
This week I’m exploring the spring veggie Ramps. If you didn’t grow up in the northeast, where they grow naturally, you may not be familiar with them. I’ve never seen them in grocery stores, only at farmers’ markets when the markets first open in April or May. Ramps have a short harvest season of only a few weeks in early spring.
I haven’t cooked ramps myself, so I had to do a little bit of research. I know they look a lot like green onions/scallions/leeks, and are often called wild leeks. Based on the recipes I found, it seems that you can use them in similar ways. I’ve read articles that describe them as pungent, or a strong flavor mix of onion and garlic. Even though we had snow this weekend, I’m looking forward to the farmers’ markets opening soon, so I can give them a try. Until I can find them, I’ll be using green onions and garlic instead.
Gluten-Free Ramps Recipe Links:
- Crunchy Spaghetti Squash with Sesame-Seared Ramps (GF, DF, Vegan, Paleo) @ Jessica Tom
- Grilled Ramps and Asparagus (GF, DF, Paleo) @ Endurance Zone
- Jerusalem Artichoke & Ramps Vegetable Soup (GF, DF, Vegan, Paleo) @ Tartelette
- Lemony Potatoes with Fresh Lemon Basil and Ramps (GF, DF, Vegan, Paleo) @ Superman Cooks
- Quinoa Cauliflower Cakes with Ramps (GF) @ Natureal Mom
- Quinoa Pilaf with Ramps, Artichokes, and Peas (GF, DF, Vegan, Paleo) @ One Green Planet
- Ramp Chowder (GF, with DF and Vegan options) @ Health Starts in the Kitchen
- Roasted Red Pepper and Ramps Tart (GF) @ Kitchen Operas
- Salsa Verde with Ramps (GF, DF, Vegan, Paleo) @ Not Eating Out in New York
- Spring Potato Salad with Ramps and Radishes (GF, DF, Paleo) @ Relishing It
- Spring Vegetable Braise with Amaranth and Brown Rice (GF, DF, Vegan) @ Amy Chaplin
- Sweet and Sour Ramps (GF, DF, Vegan, Paleo) @ Hunter Angler Gardener Cook
Celiac Family’s Menu This Week:
Monday – Roasted Chicken, Lemony Potatoes with Fresh Lemon Basil and Ramps
Tuesday – Chicken Apple Sausage, Crunchy Spaghetti Squash with Sesame-Seared Ramps
Wednesday – Hamburgers, Sweet Potato Fries, Green Beans
Thursday – Pork Tenderloin, Wild Rice Salad
Friday – Fish & Chips, Rainbow Apple Salad
Saturday – Red Beans and Rice
Sunday – Grilled Chicken Breasts, Grilled Ramps and Asparagus
Gluten Free Menu Swap Roundup
Mom’s Plans: Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Paleo
Melissa is joining us once again with lots of Paleo meal options. She’s planning for a Paleo All Meat and Veggie Chili, Tuscan Lemon Chicken, Paleo Stuffed Peppers, Roasted Tomato Soup, and Hearty Paleo Beef Stew. Check out her full menu for more meal ideas and recipe links.
Come back later to check this week’s post and see who else may be sharing their gluten-free menus, recipe links, and ideas for winter produce.
Want to join Gluten-Free Menu Swap?
- For this week’s roundup, email your menu link to celiacfamily[AT]gmail[DOT]com. Or, simply put your menu link in the comments below.
- Join us next week for sharing more gluten-free menus, recipe links, and ideas for gluten-free winter squash and other winter produce.
- The Gluten-Free Menu Swap Page has the current schedule of themes and hosts. If you’d like to host a future week, please send me an email (celiacfamily[AT]gmail[DOT]com) with your preferred date and theme. We welcome suggested themes, too!
Need more menu ideas?
- Laura at OrgJunkie.com hosts Menu Plan Monday every week. You’ll find links to hundreds of meal plans (not necessarily gluten-free) there.
- Or, check out some of my past menu plans.