I know there are many families who don’t start school until September, but my kids are going back next week! I felt like I needed to take a good look at what we can pack for lunches and snacks this year.
Thus, Snacks to Pack became the theme for this week’s Gluten-Free Menu Swap. I want the kids to spend their lunch time eating yummy, nutritious foods, and not so much on socializing. So, we gotta make it good. My kids are also allowed to have snacks in the classroom, and I like to make it easy finger foods that don’t make a mess.
Here are some packable snack and lunch ideas for you to review:
Last year’s roundup of Lunchbox Solutions at Angela’s Kitchen
Celiac Family’s Past Ideas with some new additions:
- Snack and Lunchbox Plan — This year I’m adding Beef Jerky and Bacon Jerky to the list.
- Snacks and Treats in the Classroom — Glutino Crackers and FoodShouldTasteGood Multigrain Chips
- Gluten-Free School Snacks — Skinnypop Popcorn, KIND Mini Bars (for after school due to nut issues at school)
- Make Your Own Gluten-Free Snack Mix — gluten-free Chex cereals, craisins, etc.
- Gluten-Free Animal Cookies
- Gluten-Free Sandwich Bread — Glutino Favorite Sandwich Bread Mix
- Sandwich Bread Alternatives — wraps, Corn Thins, etc.
Our Containers of Choice. The PackIt Lunch Bags we used last year are looking a little worn, but still work great. (Check out the new colors and patterns this year at Amazon.) And, since the kids didn’t feel it was necessary to have new lunch bags, I was happy not to spend the money on it this year. However, I have considered purchasing the smaller PackIt Mini Cooler Bags for their daily classroom snacks. As for containers, we use whatever is available in the cabinet. These little containers worked great for us last year: Fit & Fresh Chill Containers and small Sistema Klip It containers.
The Gluten-Free Menu Swap roundup will be included below. Don’t forget to check it for more gluten-free menus and snack ideas.
Celiac Family’s Menu This Week:
Monday – Flank Steak, Roasted Potatoes
Wednesday – Chicken Spaghetti
Thursday – Curry Mango Chicken, Jasmine Rice
Saturday – Pizza, Tossed Green Salad
Sunday – leftovers
Gluten Free Menu Swap Roundup
The Girl Who Couldn’t Eat Anything: eating without Gluten, Dairy, Peanuts, Oats, or Meat
Elisabeth is stocking her freezer with breakfast items, including these Blueberry Quinoa Breakfast Bars from the Gluten-Free Goddess that would make great snacks to pack. She’s also planning to try making the gluten-free “Wheat Thins” and goldfish crackers from Gluten Free on a Shoestring. Her dinners this week will be Spaghetti and Meatballs, Tomato Sandwiches, Portuguese Soup, Burgers, Melon Spinach Salad, Egg Salad, Fish, and Pizza.
The Peaceful Mom: Simple Gluten-Free Menu
Kimberlee has some Banana Pecan Muffins on her breakfast menu that would be a great snack to pack. For her dinner menu this week, she’ll be having BBQ Pork Sliders, Baked Chicken Thighs, Crock Pot Ribs, Greek Pasta Salad, Taco Bowls, Pasta with Crock Pot Sauce, and Beef Roast. Kimberlee has lots of recipe links, and always includes her breakfast and lunch menus, so stop by her post if you’re looking for more ideas.
Mom’s Plans: Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Menu
This week, Melissa is making Paleo Parent’s Banana Pumpkin Pucks for the freezer. That sounds like a great idea for a quick tasty snack or treat to pack! Dinners at Melissa’s house this week will be Asian Chicken Salad, Chicken Apple Sausage, Cherry Tomato Persillade with Hamburgers, Taco Salad, Crock Pot Steak and Peppers, and Tuna Melt Sandwiches. Melissa is getting beautiful eggplants in her CSA basket, but could use some ideas for recipes that hide the eggplant flavor her family isn’t excited about. Stop by and comment on her menu plan, if you can suggest some recipe ideas.
Angela’s Kitchen: Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Menu
Angela often packs up dinners for her busy family after school. She recommends packing muffins for an easy snack, but I want to try her recipe for Fruit Leather. Don’t miss her extensive list of tasty packable snacks that are great for camping and picnics, too. Her menu this week starts with Thai Chicken Burgers, Slow Cooker French Toast Casserole, Apricot Glazed Pork Tenderloin, Oven Fried Basil Chicken, and Curried Shrimp and Rice. You’ll find recipe links and a printable grocery list on her menu plan this week.
Check back later for more links to packable gluten-free snack ideas and menus from other gluten-free bloggers.
Want to join Gluten-Free Menu Swap?
- For this week’s roundup, email your menu link to celiacfamily[AT]gmail[DOT]com. Or, simply put your menu link in the comments below.
- Join us again next week at Gluten Free Goodness for more gluten-free meal ideas. Next week’s theme is plums.
- The Gluten-Free Menu Swap Page has the current schedule of themes and hosts. If you’d like to host a future week, please send me an email (celiacfamily[AT]gmail[DOT]com) with your preferred date and theme.
Need more menu ideas?
- Laura at OrgJunkie.com hosts Menu Plan Monday every week. You’ll find links to hundreds of meal plans (not necessarily gluten-free) there.
- Or, check out some of my past menu plans.