This week’s theme for the Gluten-Free Menu Swap is Favorite Thanksgiving Foods. It’s getting close to Thanksgiving now. If you haven’t started planning your meal or what you’re going to cook, now is the time! This month, we’ve already shared gluten-free Breads, Stuffings & Dressings and Desserts for the Holidays. So what other favorite Thanksgiving foods haven’t we covered?
Most fresh and frozen turkeys are gluten-free these days, but some are still plumped up with broth and other flavorings that may contain gluten. So make sure you check the labels.
Here’s a list of gluten-free turkeys to look for in the stores.
Our go-to recipe for brining and cooking a turkey is Alton Brown’s method. Just make sure the broth you use is gluten-free.
It’s pretty easy to make gluten-free gravy. You really just need to use cornstarch instead of flour to thicken it. To use cornstarch, it is usually recommended to use 1/2 the amount you would normally use for flour. In addition, you should make a slurry by combining the cornstarch with cold water first, then add it at the end of cooking for thickening. As soon as it’s thickened, you should stop cooking it. If cooked too long, it will break down and become thin again.
If you don’t have a recipe to convert, try one of these gluten-free gravy recipes.
There is no reason for cranberry sauce, salad, or relish to have gluten in them. But, you never know. So, make sure you check recipes and labels. Try one of these recipes:
- Cranberry Sauce with apricots and currants or Raw Cranberry Relish with orange, lemon, and dates at Elana’s Pantry
- Slow-Cooker Cranberry Pear Sauce with Ginger at Boulder Locavore
- Slow-Cooker Cranberry Sauce by Stephanie O’dea at Simply Gluten-Free
- Cranberry Applesauce at Simply Recipes
- Cranberry Clementine Sauce at Simply Sugar and Gluten-Free
Vegetables and Casseroles:
- Easy Dairy-Free Mashed Potatoes at Go Dairy Free
- Red Potato and Green Bean Salad at Celiac Family
- Scalloped Potatoes at Simply Sugar and Gluten Free
- Mashed Cauliflower at Elana’s Pantry
- Roasted Cauliflower at Gluten Free Goodness
- Sweet Potato Casserole at Celiac Family
- Sweet Potato and Carrot Casserole at Diet, Dessert and Dogs
- Broccoli Casserole at Celiac Family
- Quinoa with Broccoli and Mushrooms at Celiac Family
- Carrot Coins at Gluten Free Easily
- Gluten-Free Green Bean Casserole at Extraordinary Life
- Roasted Butternut Soup at The Sensitive Pantry
I can’t wait to see what everyone else is planning to make this season. Don’t forget to check below our menu for more gluten-free menus, meals, and ideas for gluten-free Thanksgiving foods.
Celiac Family’s Menu This Week:
Monday – Pizza, Rainbow Apple Salad
Wednesday – Beef Stew, Ciabatta Rolls
Friday – leftovers
Gluten Free Menu Swap Roundup
Check back later to see who will be sharing their gluten-free menus, recipe links, and ideas for gluten-free Thanksgiving Favorite Foods.
Want to join Gluten-Free Menu Swap?
- For this week’s roundup, email your menu link to celiacfamily[AT]gmail[DOT]com. Or, simply put your menu link in the comments below.
- Join us next week for sharing gluten-free menus and gluten-free Party Food and Drinks.
- The Gluten-Free Menu Swap Page has the current schedule of themes and hosts. If you’d like to host a future week, please send me an email (celiacfamily[AT]gmail[DOT]com) with your preferred date and theme.
Need more menu ideas?