I think most fresh and frozen turkeys you buy in the grocery stores are now gluten-free, but you should still read the labels! Some turkeys are plumped with broth to make them nice and juicy. Broths can be made with wheat starch, so you still have to be careful which turkey you purchase. In addition, be aware of gravy mixes and pre-made gravies that may contain gluten. I did some research to give you a head start in your search for gluten-free turkeys and gravy recipes this week. Hope it helps you get through the Turkey Week, gluten free and healthy.
Gluten-Free Turkeys to look for in the stores:
- Empire Kosher – Click on the Gluten Free tab for all their GF products.
- Foster Farms – FAQs says their fresh and frozen chicken and turkey products are gluten-free.
- HoneyBaked – FAQs state their hams and turkeys do not contain glutens.
- Honeysuckle White – Only the meatballs and teriyaki-flavored turkey products contain gluten.
- Jennie-O has gluten-free turkeys and turkey products.
- Mary’s Free Range Turkeys
- Norbest – List of FAQs states no gluten or gluten-derivatives.
- Organic Valley – offers an article about preparing a gluten-free Thanksgiving dinner.
- Perdue – The labels I’ve seen in the stores all say “Gluten Free.”
- Plainville Farms – FAQs state that their turkeys do not contain gluten. However, their turkey gravy and homestyle dressing does contain wheat.
- Shady Brook Farms
- Shelton’s – Looking at their website, I saw that their turkey meatballs are now gluten-free, too!
- Wellshire Farms – States turkeys are gluten-free. Use their Allergen Database Search to find the products without specific allergens.
Gluten-Free Turkey Gravy Recipes:
- Allergy-Friendly (Gluten-Free) Creamy Gravy (and more holiday recipes) from Cybele Pascal
- Gluten-Free Turkey Gravy at Living Without
- How to Make the Best Gluten-Free Turkey Gravy at Adventures of a Gluten-Free Mom
- Make Ahead Turkey Gravy (gluten-free, dairy-free) from Alta, posted at The Balanced Platter
The Gluten-Free Menu Swap roundup will be included below. Don’t forget to check it for more gluten-free menus and turkey inspiration for your meals.
Celiac Family’s Menu This Week:
Monday — Chili and Cornbread
Wednesday — Grilled Steaks, Oven-Roasted Potatoes, Sautéed Broccolini
Friday — Parmesan Tilapia, Rice Pilaf, Steamed Green Beans
Saturday — Pizza and Spinach Salad
Sunday — Pork Tenderloin, Red Potato and Green Bean Salad
Gluten Free Menu Swap Roundup
Mom’s Plans: Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Menu
Melissa has a Turkey Meatball Soup on her menu this week. She will be also be taking advantage of Thanksgiving leftovers for Friday’s meal. For the remainder of the week, she and her family will be enjoying Roasted Pork with Apples, Turnips, and Cabbage; Bacon and Butternut Pasta; Chicken Apple Sausage and Kale Soup; Slow-Cooked Roasted Chicken, and a Thanksgiving meal on Thursday.
The Girl Who Couldn’t Eat Anything: eating without Gluten, Dairy, Peanuts, Oats, or Meat
Elisabeth doesn’t eat meat, so no turkey for her this week. Instead, she’ll be eating Egg Salad, Spicy Shrimp in Saffron Tomato Sauce, Butternut Squash Nuggets, Fish, and Popcorn. For Thanksgiving, Lentil Mushroom Meatballs, Popovers, Mini Pumpkin Pie Shooters, and Apple Chia Seed Jam mini-pies.
The Peaceful Mom: Simple Gluten-Free Menu
Like so many other Americans this week, Kimberlee will be enjoying Turkey on Thanksgiving day. For the rest of the week, her family will be eating BBQ Pepper Jack Bacon Burgers, loaded Baked Potatoes, Taco Bowls, Spicy Black Beans, and Easy Potato Soup. She’s also sharing a link to her recipe for mini Pumpkin Pies.
Check back later to see who else may be joining the GF Menu Swap this week.
Want to join Gluten-Free Menu Swap?
- For this week’s roundup, email your menu link to celiacfamily[AT]gmail[DOT]com. Or, simply put your menu link in the comments below.
- Join us here again next week for sharing gluten-free menus and ideas for Holiday Cookies, Baked Goods, and/or Treats.
- The Gluten-Free Menu Swap Page has the current schedule of themes and hosts. If you’d like to host a future week, please send me an email (celiacfamily[AT]gmail[DOT]com) with your preferred date and theme.
Need more menu ideas?
- Laura at OrgJunkie.com hosts Menu Plan Monday every week. You’ll find links to hundreds of meal plans (not necessarily gluten-free) there.
- Or, check out some of my past menu plans.