Winter Squash is this week’s theme for the Gluten-Free Menu Swap. For the roundup of Gluten-Free Menus, visit Angela’s Kitchen this week.
Winter squash is usually harvested in the fall, and stored and eaten throughout the winter months. In fact, because they store so well, many winter squash are often available year round. The wide variety of different types of winter squash include Acorn, Buttercup, Butternut, Carnival, Delicata, Kabocha, Pie Pumpkin, Spaghetti, Turban Squash, and many more.
The winter squash I cook most frequently is spaghetti squash. If you don’t already cook it, you might try the method that works for me. Although not a favorite of the rest of the family, I like to cook it as a side dish for dinners, so I can eat leftovers for lunch.
Although not as often, I also like to cook acorn squash. I cook it similar to the spaghetti squash, roasting halves of it cut-side down in the oven. Then, after it bakes for 25 minutes, I’ll turn the squash over, add a little non-dairy butter and coconut sugar to the hollow of each half, and put it back in the oven for 5-10 minutes. My kids have been hesitant in the past to eat it, but have finally decided they really like it!
Trying some squash varieties new to our meals:
- Garlicky Baked Butternut Squash at Oh She Glows
- “Creamy” Butternut Squash Pasta at Simply Gluten-Free
- Baked Carnival Squash with Apples at Optimal Body Balance
- Baked Eggs in in Carnival Squash Rings at A Calculated Whisk
- Maple Glazed Roasted Delicata Squash and Brussels Sprouts at Simply Recipes
- Roasted Kabocha Custard and other yummy ideas for eating kabocha at The Non-Dairy Queen
Don’t forget to check Angela’s Kitchen for more gluten-free menus, meals, and recipes with Winter Squash.
Celiac Family’s Menu This Week:
Monday – Hamburger Stroganoff with Gluten-Free Tagliatelle Noodles, Roasted Cauliflower
Tuesday – Roasted Chicken with Maple Glazed Roasted Delicata Squash and Brussels Sprouts
Wednesday – leftovers
Saturday – Chicken Wings, Baked Carnival Squash with Apples
Sunday – Quinoa Indian Chicken, Sautéed Garlic Spinach
Want to join Gluten-Free Menu Swap?
- For this week’s roundup, visit Angela’s Kitchen.
- Join us next week for sharing gluten-free menus and recipes with a Rainbow of Foods.
- The Gluten-Free Menu Swap Page has the current schedule of themes and hosts. If you’d like to host a future week, please send me an email (celiacfamily[AT]gmail[DOT]com) with your preferred date and theme. We welcome suggested themes, too!
Need more menu ideas?