Thanks to Easter, I still have lots of hard-boiled eggs (in many colors 🙂 ) in my refrigerator. One of my favorite things to make with them is egg salad. A few years ago, I was in search of the tastiest egg salad recipe. I tried a few, but each one seemed to be lacking something. Perhaps it’s one of those recipes that you just have to adjust to your own liking. So, that’s just what I did. And fortunately, I wrote down the ingredients and amounts so I could duplicate it year after year. If you haven’t created your own recipe for egg salad yet, try starting with mine:
Heather’s Favorite Egg Salad
6 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
1/4 Cup mayonnaise
1 tsp Dijon mustard (I use coarse, or whole, grain.)
1/2 tsp prepared yellow mustard
Juice from 1/2 lemon
1 TBSP sweet pickle relish
3 green onions, sliced (about a 1/4 Cup)
1/2 tsp dried dill weed
1/4 tsp celery seed
salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium bowl, mix together mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, yellow mustard, lemon juice, and relish.
- Then add eggs, green onions, dill weed, and celery seed.
- Stir to combine and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve your egg salad on bread, rolls, tossed greens, or whatever your preference. In the picture above, I have used Schar dinner rolls, sliced in half. I gently removed the center of the bread and placed a leaf of lettuce in the bottom. Then scooped egg salad on top. I thought it made a nice presentation and was oh so good!
- Schar Classic White Rolls are wheat-free, gluten-free, and lactose free. I found them on the shelves with other gluten-free items at Wegmans. Because they are not frozen, you can also purchase them online at glutenfree.com. We use the rolls for hamburgers, too.
- For tips on hard-cooked eggs check out these websites: Anastasia’s Table and Kalyn’s Kitchen.