- celiacfamily.com - http://celiacfamily.com -
Irish Potato Farls
Posted By Heather On March 16, 2009 @ 3:09 am In Breakfast,Holidays,Recipes | 9 Comments
Start St. Patrick’s Day with a fried breakfast and Irish Potato Farls. Or, if you drank lots of gluten-free beer , you may want to end your evening with potato farls. Potato farls are simply potato pancakes cut into farls, or fourths.
4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut in half (I used Russet Baking potatoes.)
2 TBSP butter, melted
1/2 Cup gluten-free flour (I used brown rice flour.)
1 tsp salt
oil or grease for frying
1. Place potato halves into pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to a simmer until the potatoes are fork-tender (about 20 min.). Drain the water from the pot and allow the potatoes to dry out.
2. In a medium bowl, mash or beat the potatoes until smooth. Add the butter, flour and salt and beat until well combined.
3. Turn the dough out onto a sheet of parchment paper (or lightly floured surface). Split the dough into two equal portions. Shape each portion into a round and roll out with a rolling pin into a 9″ circle. Using a pizza cutter, cut each circle into fourths. 
4. Prepare the skillet by either adding grease/oil or flour. I like to cook bacon and use the grease (only 1-2 TBSP is needed) to cook the potato farls. I think it gives it extra flavor and a little crisp to the edges. However, in lieu of the grease you can dust the skillet with flour. Cook the farls in a skillet over medium-high heat. Cook each side for 5 minutes or until lightly browned.
5. Add butter, salt and pepper, and enjoy! Makes 2 whole potato pancakes, or 8 farls.
Article printed from celiacfamily.com: http://celiacfamily.com
URL to article: http://celiacfamily.com/irish-potato-farls/
URLs in this post:
 Image: http://pinterest.com/pin/create/button/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fceliacfamily.com%2Firish-potato-farls%2F&media=http%3A%2F%2Fceliacfamily.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2009%2F03%2Fimg_3089x-300x225.jpg&description=Irish%20Potato%20Farls
 Image: http://celiacfamily.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/img_3089x.jpg
 gluten-free beer: http://celiacfamily.com/gluten-free-beer/
 Image: http://celiacfamily.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/img_3082x.jpg
 Image: http://celiacfamily.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/img_3085x.jpg
 Image: http://celiacfamily.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/img_3094x.jpg
Copyright © 2009 celiacfamily.com. All rights reserved.