Use leftover chicken to make this quick and easy dinner. It has a thin soupy consistency, not a thick creamy one.
2 TBSP olive oil
1/2 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
3-4 Cups chicken broth
1 can (15 oz.) Italian-style diced tomatoes, drained
1 tsp dried basil
salt and pepper to taste
2-3 Cups cooked chicken, diced
Handful of fresh baby spinach leaves, cleaned
Optional: Parmesan cheese, olives, feta cheese
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat; saute onion and garlic until onion is tender and translucent.
- Stir in broth and tomatoes. Add in basil, salt, and pepper to taste. Simmer for 15 minutes over low heat.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook according to package directions.
- Place cooked chicken in sauce to heat through.
- Drop spinach in saucepan and cook for 2-3 minutes, just before serving.
- Drain pasta and place into serving bowls.
- Spoon sauce over hot pasta and sprinkle with Parmesan.
- For a slightly different flavor, omit the Parmesan. Instead, add kalamata olives and sprinkle with feta cheese.
- Use fresh roma tomatoes (3-4 cut up) and/or basil if you have it.
For more recipes with spinach, check out Friday Foodie Fix at The W.H.O.L.E. Gang.