The theme for this week’s Gluten-Free Menu Swap is Wine. I believe this is the first time Wine has been the theme of the GF Menu Swap. It was my husband’s suggestion, and his timing seemed just right. Last Wednesday would have been Julia Child’s 100th birthday (Aug. 15). There were lots of food websites and bloggers posting recipes last week for her birthday. True to her preferred style of French cooking, many of the recipes she made on her cooking show included wine. I’ve included on this week’s menu, a recipe for Sautéed Beefsteak with Sauce DeGlace that was posted on her birthday. I may even make Julia’s “Reverse Martini” for my husband, though I’m not really the bartender at my house so he may have to make them. …On second thought, maybe we’ll just finish the bottle of wine we use for the deglazing sauce. 🙂
I also found a cool website (Food and Wine Pairing) for helping you choose the perfect type of wine to serve with your meal. Or the perfect meal to cook for a particular wine you love. Great resource!
Check out the roundup below to see who else may be sharing gluten-free menus this week. Next week’s theme will be lunch box solutions. Since we’ve already started school, I’m getting a jump start on it this week. I’ve included ideas for breakfast, lunch, and snacks for Monday through Friday. Be sure to check the roundup next week at Angela’s Kitchen for more ideas.
Tuesday – Julia Child’s Sautéed Beefsteak with Sauce DeGlace
Breakfast: French Toast, Blueberries
Lunch: Grilled Chicken Nuggets, Pear slices, Baby Carrots, GF Pretzel Sticks
Snacks: Grapes, Tortilla Chips, Popcorn
Wednesday – Pizza (using Bob’s Red Mill Mix) and Spinach Salad
Breakfast: French Toast, Strawberries
Lunch: Grilled Chicken Nuggets, Banana, Sugar Snap Peas, Potato Chips
Snacks: Grapes, Popcorn, Lemonade
Sunday – Corn Dog Muffins, Sweet Potato Fries, Steamed Broccoli
Gluten Free Menu Swap Roundup
Angela at Angela’s Kitchen is also thinking about Julia Child today. I love the quote from Julia Child she included: “I enjoy cooking with wine, sometimes I even put it in the food I’m cooking.” Angela put up a link for a wine substitution list that you may find helpful. Her menu is full of links to delicious recipes: Baked Eggplant Zucchini Spaghetti, Taco Chili, Spicy Sweet Glazed Chicken, ABC Slaw, Coconut Lime Tilapia, etc.
Paige at Not Missing a Thing! is still enjoying the summer. Her family is having fun with backyard campouts complete with Roasted Hot Dogs and S’mores. Also on their menu this week is Tacos, Mini-Meatloves, Summertime Chicken Salad, Chicken Waikiki, and Honey Mustard Chicken Salad.
Join us next week at Angela’s Kitchen for Lunch Box Solutions.
Want to join Gluten-Free Menu Swap?
- For this week’s roundup, email your menu link to celiacfamily[AT]gmail[DOT]com. Or, simply put your menu link in the comments below.
- I will be hosting the roundup again next week, and the theme will be Wine. Do you use wine in your cooking, sauces, etc.? Or, maybe you are good at pairing specific types of wine with meals? Use the theme however it works for you.
- The Gluten-Free Menu Swap Page has the current schedule of themes and hosts. If you’d like to host a future week, please send me an email (celiacfamily[AT]gmail[DOT]com) with your preferred date and theme.
Need more menu ideas?
- Laura at OrgJunkie.com hosts Menu Plan Monday every week. You’ll find links to hundreds of meal plans (not necessarily gluten-free) there.
- Or, check out some of my past menu plans.