We are finally down to our last week of school! I know most kids across the country are already out and enjoying summer break, but we still have five days left. And our schedule is busy: plays, recitals, sports tournaments, performances, school parties, birthday parties…. Everyone is trying to fit in activities before everyone else heads out of town on vacation. Did I also mention that we’re moving in less than two weeks? It’s a little crazy right now. I am so glad that I made a monthly menu plan. My weekly plans just need little adjustments.
This week’s theme for the Gluten-Free Menu Swap is Asparagus. I don’t cook asparagus too frequently. My kids are still getting used to the taste of it. They’ll eat a few bites of it, say “It’s OK,” and then not eat anymore. But, it is the season for it and it’s been looking so good lately, that I brought some home last week. There are lots of ways to prepare asparagus — raw, roasted, steamed, sautéed, etc. We actually dipped it in a thin tempura batter, and deep fried it. We were trying to use up some small portions of food in the freezer and fridge. When I saw the half-empty container of gluten-free tempura mix in the pantry, we decided to give it a try with shrimp, broccoli, asparagus, and a few other things we found in the produce bin. My husband and I thought it turned out really good, and was a nice change to the menu plan. The kids were mixed, but did enjoy the asparagus. It was still nice and crunchy. For more ideas of preparing asparagus, check out the roundup below..
Monday - Leftovers
Thursday – Beef (Marinated Sirloin Strips) & Broccoli Stir-fry with Rice
Friday - Grilled Chicken Cutlets, boiled Baby Potatoes, asparagus
Saturday - Grilled Burgers, Corn on the Cob, Watermelon
Sunday – Waffles, Bacon, Fruit Salad
Gluten Free Menu Swap Roundup
Paige at Not Missing a Thing! is having asparagus this week with Balsamic Glazed Fish. She is also planning on Create-Your-Own Mini Pizzas, Crock Pot Chili, Fish Tacos, and Grilled Steaks. And I love her idea for hamburger buns: Portobello Mushrooms!
Check back later to see which other gluten-free menus are linked her to the swap.
Want to join Gluten-Free Menu Swap?
- For this week’s roundup, email your menu link to celiacfamily[AT]gmail[DOT]com. Or, simply put your menu link in the comments below.
- Next week’s theme will be Mango. The roundup will be posted at Celiac Family.
- The Gluten-Free Menu Swap Page has the current schedule of themes and hosts. If you’d like to host a future week, please send me an email (celiacfamily[AT]gmail[DOT]com) with your preferred date and theme.
Need more menu ideas?
- Laura at OrgJunkie.com hosts Menu Plan Monday every week. You’ll find links to hundreds of meal plans (not necessarily gluten-free) there.
- Or, check out some of my past menu plans.