I hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving Leftovers is the theme for the Gluten-Free Menu Swap this week and the roundup is here. Do you still have leftovers from Thanksgiving? Or, did you eat it all? We’ve eaten most of the turkey, but still have plenty of ham and mashed potatoes left. Fortunately, I’ve found some creative ways to use up those leftovers. Perhaps you have some more great ideas to share, too? Feel free to join the fun by sending me your menu link, or simply put your ideas in the comments.
Turkey Leftovers - You can usually substitute turkey in recipes for chicken casseroles.
- Paige’s Creamy Chicken made with turkey instead of chicken is great served over leftover potatoes.
- Jennie-O has several ideas for cooking with turkey leftovers. You might check their collection of gluten-free meals, too.
- I found a recipe for Cranberry-Turkey Fried Rice at Ladies Home Journal. You could use diced pieces of turkey, along with leftover cranberries and rice to make this.
- You can make chili with white beans and use chopped turkey instead of chicken.
- Paleo Turkey Hash at Elana’s Pantry looks good.
- Stephanie’s CrockPot Turkey and Wild Rice Soup uses a turkey carcass – perfect for Thanksgiving leftovers.
Ham Leftovers – You can easily substitute ham for bacon in recipes.
- Dice leftover ham to add to salads.
- Add diced ham to Egg Casserole, Omelettes, Frittatas, etc.
- Add chunks of ham and leftover vegetables to create a quiche.
- Try Ham Potato and Leek soup at Simply Recipes.
Potato and other Vegetable Leftovers
- Make Potato Farls or Potato Pancakes with leftover mashed potatoes.
- Dice baked or roasted potatoes. Add to diced onions and sweet peppers in a skillet and make hash browns to serve with breakfast.
- Make Egg Casserole by using diced potatoes instead of frozen hash browns. You can even add some leftover vegetables to it before you bake it.
- Fried Rice is a good way to use up leftover vegetables, meat, and rice.
Want more ideas for meals this week? Check out the roundup below to see who else is sharing their gluten-free menus. As we continue with holiday themes for the Gluten-Free Menu Swap, the theme next week will be Holiday Cookies.
Monday - White Chicken Chili (with leftover turkey instead of chicken) served with rice.
Tuesday – Hamburgers, roasted potatoes, green beans
Wednesday – Egg Casserole using leftover roasted potatoes and ham
Thursday – Flank Steak, roasted sweet potatoes, sautéed kale
Friday - Easy Garlic Shrimp Pasta with leftover veggies
Saturday - Chicken Teriyaki Tenders with Cauliflower Rice and Broccoli
Sunday - leftovers
Gluten Free Menu Swap Roundup
Paige at Not Missing a Thing! doesn’t have any leftovers this week, but she does have a tasty menu planned. She’s starting the week with Stephanie’s Java Roast Crockpot Recipe and her own recipe for Oven-Baked Chicken Cacciatore and ending with take-out from Pei Wei Asian Diner and Salad Dressing Chicken and Rice. Paige is also making gluten-free, dairy-free, and egg-free Drop Biscuits this week.
Angela at Angela’s Kitchen is making Turkey Stock with her leftover turkey bones. She’s also making Wild Rice Soup with Turkey, Pumpkin Enchiladas, and Nachos using turkey seasoned with fajita spices! You could also use leftover ham to make her Ham and Cheese Scones. This week, she’ll also be making Orange Apricot Pork Chops for the slow-cooker, Beef and Almond Stir-Fry, and Spiced Chicken.
Lisa at Extraordinary Life made Turkey Pot Pie and Chicken and Rice Soup with leftovers over the weekend. This week, she’ll also be making Turkey Croquettes, Turkey and Dumplings, Turkey Burgers, Grilled Steaks, Pizza with Turkey bits, and Almond and Romano Cheese Encrusted Pork Chops.
Sam at Awkward Girl Gets Fit says she doesn’t have leftovers on the menu, but I’m thinking she could make those lettuce wraps for lunch with leftover turkey or ham. On her menu this week, she has dairy-free Butter Chicken (yum!), Grilled Tri-Tip (yum!), Rosemary Pot Roast (yum!), and Coconut Flour Apple Pancakes (yum, yum, yum!). Too many yums? Well, you can check out her menu for yourself.
Emily at Our Frugal Happy Life has Cheeseburger Soup and Cheeseburger Rice on her menu. She’s also making Italian Cream Cheese Chicken Casserole and Easy Shepherd’s Pie. Both, of which, are great ways to use up leftovers. You can make them however works for your taste and diet.
Thanks to everyone who joined us for this week’s GF Menu Swap. Join us next week at Extraordinary Life for Holiday Cookies.
Want to join Gluten-Free Menu Swap?
- For this week’s roundup, email your menu link to celiacfamily[AT]gmail[DOT]com. Or, simply put your menu link in the comments below.
- Next week’s GF Menu Swap will be hosted by Lisa at Extraordinary Life. We’ll be sharing our favorite Holiday Cookies!
- The Gluten-Free Menu Swap Page has the current schedule of themes and hosts. If you’d like to host a future week, please send me an email (celiacfamily[AT]gmail[DOT]com) with your preferred date and theme.
Need more menu ideas?
- Laura at OrgJunkie.com hosts Menu Plan Monday every week. You’ll find links to hundreds of meal plans (not necessarily gluten-free) there.
- Or, check out some of my past menu plans.