With Halloween behind us, it’s time to start thinking about the holidays (if you haven’t already!). Until the end of the year, we will have themes to help prepare for the holidays. This week, the theme for the Gluten-Free Menu Swap is Thanksgiving Desserts. So, if you have a favorite fall dessert, please share it with us.
My favorite dessert for Thanksgiving is pie. If you are new to a gluten-free diet, you might think that pies are difficult to make gluten free. But don’t fret, there are many options for a gluten-free pie! Most fillings are gluten-free, or can easily be made gluten-free by using cornstarch or arrowroot for thickening, if needed. There are lots of options for gluten-free pie crusts, too!
Gluten-Free Pie Crust – You can make a gluten-free crust using alternative flours or nuts.
- I like Annalise Roberts’ recipe for a traditional, but gluten-free, crust.
- Angela has a recipe for a traditional, gluten-free double crust, including instructions for freezing.
- Lisa has a recipe for a crust made with tree nuts (walnuts, pecans, and cashews).
- Elana has a recipe for a Pecan Tart Crust and a pie crust made with almond flour.
- Carol has a recipe for a Caramel Apple Tart that uses a package of Chebe Cinnamon Roll Mix to make the crust.
- Jules has an easy recipe for making a crust using gluten-free cookies.
- Nicole has a recipe for a gluten-free Chocolate Pie Crust.
Crustless Pie – You can also make pies without a crust at all!
- Carrie has a recipe for Crustless Pumpkin Pie.
- Shirley is the queen of making crustless pies! Here are just a few of them on her dessert recipes list: Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Pumpkin Pie, Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Sweet Potato, and Easy Crustless Pecan Pie.
Whipped Topping is typically gluten-free. But if you’re buying it at the store, be sure to check the labels. There are dairy-free options, too!
- Diane’s Coconut Milk Whipped Cream was a big hit at our Thanksgiving meal last year.
- Alisa also has several dairy-free recipes for whipped cream at Go Dairy Free.
Want more ideas for meals this week? Check out the roundup below to see who else is sharing their gluten-free menus. As we continue with holiday themes for the Gluten-Free Menu Swap, the theme next week will be about Vegetable and Side Dishes for Thanksgiving.
Tuesday (Election Day – Go vote!) – Bacon-wrapped Chicken Tenders served with with Broccoli and Roasted Potatoes
Wednesday – Fish Tacos and Pineapple Mango Salsa
Thursday – The Peaceful Mom’s Rosemary Chicken served with Roasted Potatoes
Friday - Pork Tenderloin with Wild Rice Salad
Saturday - Hamburgers and Sweet Potato Fries
Sunday - leftovers
Gluten Free Menu Swap Roundup
Angela at Angela’s Kitchen is looking forward to the Impossible Pumpkin Pie that her daughter makes every year. It is a crustless pie that uses a gluten-free baking mix and coconut milk. Angela also has recipes for a traditional (GF/DF) Pumpkin Pie and a Freezer Apple Pie to share. And, she’s already starting her holiday cookie baking this week! (I’m so impressed!) For meals this week, she’s planning on Silver Dollar Pear Pancakes, Ground Turkey and Veggie Tortilla Casserole, Apple Cranberry Squash, Orange Marmalade Chicken, and Ultimate Beef Stroganoff.
Lisa at Extraordinary Life says that for her first gluten-free Thanksgiving, she had great results with buying gluten-free pie crusts at Whole Foods Market. She bought six pie shells because apparently she likes to accommodate everyone’s favorites : Coconut Cream Pie, Paleo Pumpkin Pie, and Cranberry Walnut Pie. She also likes to make Pumpkin Cheesecake using gluten-free cookie crumbs for the crust. And don’t miss her recipe for Pumpkin Cheesecake Cupcakes! On her menu this week is Almond and Romano Cheese encrusted Pork Chops, Lettuce Wrap Tacos, Roasted Chicken Legs, Crockpot Roast Beef, and more.
Paige at Not Missing a Thing! doesn’t have any Thanksgiving desserts to share this week. Instead, she’s sharing a revised family recipe for Chicken Corn Soup that starts with a Cream of Potato Soup base and adds corn and chicken instead of bacon. She also has Oven Baked Chicken Cacciatore, Pizza, Crockpot Beef Stroganoff, and Skillet Quinoa Fiesta.
Kimberlee at The Peaceful Mom is making BBQ Pork Sliders with Broccoli Salad this week. She’s also warming up this week with Crockpot Chili and Easy Potato Soup. Stirfry made with leftover pork and veggies, Cheeseburger Casserole, and Taco Bowls are also on her menu this week.
Thanks to everyone joining us for this week’s GF Menu Swap. Join us next week at Gluten Free Goodness when we share our favorite side and vegetable dishes for Thanksgiving.
Want to join Gluten-Free Menu Swap?
- For this week’s roundup, email your menu link to celiacfamily[AT]gmail[DOT]com. Or, simply put your menu link in the comments below.
- Next week’s GF Menu Swap will be hosted by Cheryl at Gluten Free Goodness. We’ll be sharing our favorite Vegetable and Side Dishes for Thanksgiving.
- The Gluten-Free Menu Swap Page has the current schedule of themes and hosts. If you’d like to host a future week, please send me an email (celiacfamily[AT]gmail[DOT]com) with your preferred date and theme.
Need more menu ideas?
- Laura at OrgJunkie.com hosts Menu Plan Monday every week. You’ll find links to hundreds of meal plans (not necessarily gluten-free) there.
- Or, check out some of my past menu plans.