The theme for this week’s Gluten-Free Menu Swap is Zucchini and Summer Squash. I know all of you who have gardens, have plenty of summer squash. It is certainly abundant at the farmers’ market. My kids have rejected it for years, but have finally given in to it this summer. It still amazes me how they can go from hating a food for years to suddenly loving it with just a couple bites. Well, I guess that’s why we keep making them try the same rejected foods over and over. Some day, they just may love it! 🙂
With this newly beloved vegetable now making it into our meals more frequently, I wanted to see how others were preparing it. I usually just make a Simple Sautéed dish of it or Hold the Gluten’s Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread. But just look below at all the creative gluten-free recipes I found for zucchini.
- Linda at The Gluten-Free Homemaker has several zucchini recipes. These are just some of them she has posted on her site: Zucchini Pizza, Grilled Zucchini, Potato Zucchini Mash, Zucchini Sausage, and Zucchini Cakes.
- Angela at Angela’s Kitchen has recipes for Zucchini Muffins and Baked Eggplant Zucchini Spaghetti.
- Paige at Not Missing a Thing has a recipe for Spiced Zucchini Bread.
- Diane at The WHOLE Gang has a recipe for Zucchini and Squash Pesto Pasta.
- And like Linda, Alta at Tasty Eats at Home also has several recipes for zucchini and summer squash: Healthy Chocolate Zucchini Muffins, Lamb Stuffed 8-Ball Squash or Zucchini, Summer Squash Chicken Frittata, Warm Eggplant and Summer Squash Salad, Zucchini and Sun-Dried Tomato Casserole, and Zucchini and Parmesan.
Check out the roundup below to see who else may be sharing gluten-free menus this week. You may also be interested in the monthly menu plan for September I posted this weekend. For next week’s theme we’re going to take a closer look at the Paleo diet, and choose meals that are appropriate for the Paleo diet (which is also gluten-free!). Lisa at Extraordinary Life will be hosting the roundup.
Tuesday – Hamburgers (Udi’s Buns), Fried Zucchini & Sweet Potato Chips
Breakfast: Pancakes, Blueberries
Lunch: Grilled Chicken Nuggets, Apple slices, Sugar Snap Peas, GF Pretzel Sticks
Snacks: Grapes, Popcorn, Juice
Wednesday – Chicken Tacos, Corn and Black Bean Salad
Breakfast: Pancakes, Blueberries
Lunch: Grilled Chicken Nuggets, Apple Slices, Baby Carrots, Potato Chips
Snacks: Grapes, GF Pretzel Sticks, Lemonade
Thursday – Baked Salmon and Ratatouille (from Eat Like a Dinosaur)
Breakfast: Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins, Cantaloupe
Lunch: Ham Rolls, Pear Slices, Celery Sticks, GF Crackers
Snacks: Blueberries, Popcorn, Banana
Saturday – Leftovers
Sunday – Need a dessert to take to family meal – maybe Fruit Pizza
Gluten Free Menu Swap Roundup
Angela at Angela’s Kitchen has an abundance of zucchini in her garden and is using it in muffins and roasted to top pizza. She has a plan for freezing the excess, too. Angela has some breakfast and lunch ideas this week that includes Bacon Spinach Quiche and Ham and Cheese Scones. For dinners, she’s putting her slow-cooker to work to make Pulled Pork and Sweet and Sour Chicken. And to finish out the week, she’ll be making Spinach Burgers, Taco Pizza, and plenty of fresh salads.
Paige at Not Missing a Thing! is feeling overwhelmed with activities at her house, but has pulled together a meal plan to make it run a little more smoothly this week. She’s got a great idea for serving Creamy Chicken Pie filling over rice instead of baking in a crust. Other chicken meals on her menu are Gina Chicken, Baked Chicken Cacciatore, and Chicken Drumsticks.
Lisa at Extraordinary Life is seeing dramatic results from being on a Paleo diet, and enjoying the meals, too. This week, her family’s meals include Hungarian Pot Roast with Mashed Cauliflower, Pork Chops, Roasted Chicken Breasts, Paleo Pizza, and Lettuce Wrap Beef Tacos. For more Paleo meal ideas, join Lisa and the rest of us at the GF Menu Swap next week.
Check back later to see who else may be joining this week’s GF Menu Swap.
Want to join Gluten-Free Menu Swap?
- For this week’s roundup, email your menu link to celiacfamily[AT]gmail[DOT]com. Or, simply put your menu link in the comments below.
- Next week, Lisa at Extraordinary Life is hosting with Paleo Diet as the theme. Join us if you’ve ever wondered what the diet was about or if you have Paleo meal ideas to share.
- The Gluten-Free Menu Swap Page has the current schedule of themes and hosts. If you’d like to host a future week, please send me an email (celiacfamily[AT]gmail[DOT]com) with your preferred date and theme.
Need more menu ideas?
- Laura at OrgJunkie.com hosts Menu Plan Monday every week. You’ll find links to hundreds of meal plans (not necessarily gluten-free) there.
- Or, check out some of my past menu plans.