The theme for this week’s Gluten-Free Menu Swap is Onion. I think most kitchens and cooks use onions in meals on a regular basis for the wonderful flavor and aroma they added to dishes. But I did a little research and found that they could provide some pretty amazing health benefits, too.
Onions contain vitamins C and B6, folate, calcium, manganese, and anti-oxidants. Without getting too technical on the specifics, studies have shown that onion can help diabetics lower their blood sugar levels and actually improve a diabetic’s tolerance for glucose. Additional studies about onions indicate that their consumption may lower the incidence of osteoporosis, cancer, cataracts, and cardiovascular disease. Hmmm…I wonder how often and how many onions you would have to eat to get those benefits. Get out the mint!
In addition to the meals pictured below, here are some of the ways we enjoy onion at our house:
- Avocado Salsa (green onion)
- Beef Kabobs (sweet or white onion)
- Broccoli Mushroom Bake (green onion)
- Chicken Enchilada Soup (white or spanish onion)
- Chicken Enchiladas (white or spanish onion)
- Chicken Spaghetti (white onion)
- Chicken Vindaloo (white onion)
- Clam Chowder (white onion)
- Curry Chicken Salad with Grapes and Pine Nuts (white or sweet onion)
- Egg and Hashbrown Casserole (green onion)
- Egg Salad (green onions)
- Gumbo (white onion)
- Honey Poppyseed Dressing (onion juice)
- Indian Chicken with Quinoa (white or sweet onion)
- Potato Salad (white onion)
- Pulled Pork, slow-cooked (white or sweet onion)
- Red Beans and Rice (green and white onions)
- Red Potato and Green Bean Salad (red onion)
- White Chicken Chili (white onion)
- Wild Rice Salad with Parmesan Dressing (green onion)
Check out the Gluten-Free Menu Swap roundup below for more gluten-free menus and recipe links.
Wednesday — Chicken Nuggets, Roasted Potatoes, Broccoli
Saturday — Red Beans and Rice
Sunday — leftovers
Gluten Free Menu Swap Roundup
Mom’s Plans: Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Menu for the family and a Paleo Auto Immune Diet for Melissa
Melissa’s family is eating lots of yummy soups this week, including Southwestern Soup, Taco Soup (red onion and onion powder), Cabbage and Beef Soup, and Hamburger Soup (onion). They also get to enjoy gluten-free pasta with Jamie Oliver’s spaghetti sauce (two small onions), Black-Eyed Peas and Ham Hock, and Skillet Ginger and Apricot Tilapia. Melissa’s more restricted diet will include Lamb and Beef Patties, Pork Chops, Meatballs, Spaghetti Squash and Bok Choy. Stop by her blog to see her complete menus and find all the recipe links.
The Peaceful Mom: Simple Gluten-Free Menu
Kimberlee is making Ham and Spinach Pasta this week, as well as Spicy Chicken Thighs, Baked Ham, BBQ Chicken, Chebe Bread Pizza, and more. For breakfast her family will be eating Crustless Quiche (with yellow onion) and Crockpot Granola with yogurt. Lunches will include Peach Mango Smoothies, Apple Sandwiches, and Turkey Lettuce Wraps.
Angela’s Kitchen: Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Menu
Angela is sharing a great recipe this week for preserving Caramelized Onions. And I can’t wait to try her easy recipe for Faux French’s crispy onions. They would be perfect to top that green bean casserole served for Easter. In fact, it looks like a great idea for onion rings or even a Bloomin’ Onion, too. On her menu this week is Chicken Cacciatore (with onion), Tilapia with Lemony Spinach and Mushrooms (with onion), Italian Pot Roast (with onion), Buffalo Chicken Pizza (with onion), and Individual Apple Sausage Quiches (with shallots or sweet onions). Stop by her site to see how she’s making and freezing pizzas this week, too.
Check back later to see who else is sharing their gluten-free menus this week.
Want to join Gluten-Free Menu Swap?
- For this week’s roundup, email your menu link to celiacfamily[AT]gmail[DOT]com. Or, simply put your menu link in the comments below.
- Next week’s roundup will be at Angela’s Kitchen. The theme will be Pies!
- The Gluten-Free Menu Swap Page has the current schedule of themes and hosts. If you’d like to host a future week, please send me an email (celiacfamily[AT]gmail[DOT]com) with your preferred date and theme.
Need more menu ideas?
- Laura at OrgJunkie.com hosts Menu Plan Monday every week. You’ll find links to hundreds of meal plans (not necessarily gluten-free) there.
- Or, check out some of my past menu plans.