This week’s Gluten-Free Menu Swap theme is Persimmons. I was really surprised to see persimmons at the grocery store this month. I think of them as a fall fruit, but I guess you can often still find them in early winter. I never buy persimmons because I’m always so excited to fill up my basket with apples, pumpkins, and squash in the fall.
When I saw the persimmons last week, it got me thinking about how to eat them. I did a little research and found at About.com that there are two varieties, the Fuyu and the Hachiya. The Fuyu, which I found at the store, is often peeled and eaten raw. The pulp of the Hachiya is often puréed and used in baked goods.
I found some yummy-looking gluten-free persimmon recipes to try, too!
- Persimmon Berry Smoothie at Keepin’ It Kind
- Gluten-Free Persimmon Waffles at Book of Yum
- Gluten-Free Crepes with Honey Lavender Roasted Persimmons at Tartelette
- Gluten-Free Persimmon Bread at Allergy Free Mom
- Persimmon Pomegranate Fruit Salad at Simply Recipes
- Gluten-Free Persimmon Cookies at Bob’s Red Mill (This recipe uses BRM’s GF Shortbread Cookie Mix, which I just happen to have in my pantry! Now I just have to find some Hachiya, or persimmon pulp.)
Be sure to check out the Gluten-Free Menu Swap roundup below, where there will be more gluten-free menus and recipe links for Gluten-Free meals.
Celiac Family’s Menu This Week:
Monday – Chicken Taquitos, Guacamole
Tuesday – Pork Chops with Black Beans and Salsa, Rice, Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Wednesday – Hamburger Stroganoff, Spinach Salad
Thursday – Rotisserie Chicken, Roasted Potatoes, Steamed Green Beans
Friday – Pizza, Persimmon Pomegranate Fruit Salad
Saturday – Salmon with a Balsamic Glaze, Basmati Rice, Broccolini
Sunday – Traditional Chili with Cornbread
Gluten Free Menu Swap Roundup
Mom’s Plans: Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Menu
Melissa continues to use meals from the freezer to help her get dinners on the table this week. She’s planning for Ham and Cabbage Saute, Beef Roast with Vegetables, Hamburger Soup, One Pot Pasta with Tomato-Basil Sauce, and One Pot Stuffed Pepper Soup. Stop by her full menu post for more lunch ideas and recipe links.
The Peaceful Mom: Simple Gluten-Free Menu
Kimberlee’s menu this week starts with Mexican Enchiladas, Loaded Baked Potatoes, and Pan-Fried Pork Chops. She finishes the week with Spicy Black Beans, Breakfast for Dinner, Cheeseburger Pasta, and a night eating out. She also has breakfast and lunch ideas and recipe links.
Angela’s Kitchen: Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Menu
Angela is using Persimmons this week in this Winter Harvest Fruit Salad she found at The Gracious Pantry. She’s also thinking about trying a persimmon syrup or jam. For dinners this week, she’ll be making Gingerbread Pumpkin Waffles, Pork Apple Curry, Slow-Cooker Orange Chicken, Shrimp Pad Thai, and Balsamic and Sun-Dried Tomato Burgers. Angela also has lots of recipe links to share, so check them all out at her menu post this week.
The Girl Who Couldn’t Eat Anything: eating without Gluten, Dairy, Peanuts, Oats, or Meat
No persimmons on Elisabeth’s menu this week. She is not a fan. Instead, she’s planning for Detox Smoothies, a Red Pepper and Kale Frittata, Shepherd’s Pie and a Tex Mex version, Pizza, Popcorn, Fish, and Vegan Nicoise Salad.
The Gluten Free Week: Gluten-Free
Lori found a recipe for Arugula Persimmon Pear Salad to make this week. She’ll be serving it with Pulled Pork Sandwiches. Also on her menu this week is Rosemary-Apple Pork Tenderloin, Chicken Nuggets, Thai Chicken Curry, White Bean Kale and Sage Soup, and Pulled Pork Tacos.
Thanks for sharing with us this week. Join us again next week at GlutenFreeWeek for more gluten-free meals and menus. The theme next week is Leeks.
Want to join Gluten-Free Menu Swap?
- For this week’s roundup, email your menu link to celiacfamily[AT]gmail[DOT]com. Or, simply put your menu link in the comments below.
- Join us again next week at GlutenFreeWeek for sharing gluten-free menus and ideas for using Leeks in your menus.
- The Gluten-Free Menu Swap Page has the current schedule of themes and hosts. If you’d like to host a future week, please send me an email (celiacfamily[AT]gmail[DOT]com) with your preferred date and theme.
Need more menu ideas?
- Laura at OrgJunkie.com hosts Menu Plan Monday every week. You’ll find links to hundreds of meal plans (not necessarily gluten-free) there.
- Or, check out some of my past menu plans.