Lately I’ve been trying harder to eat up all the produce in the house before it goes bad. As it gets warmer outside (and a little warmer inside, too), the produce just doesn’t last as long. I had some mushrooms I bought to put in the stir fry we had last week. I completely forgot about them until I was cleaning up the kitchen after dinner.
So, then I still had mushrooms to cook — and fast. So here’s the dish I came up with. It was really good, but if I did it again I’d probably add some more vegetables — maybe some red peppers would be nice.
Quinoa with Broccoli and Mushrooms
1 Cup white (pearl) Quinoa
2 Cups chicken broth
1 TBSP butter (or olive oil)
1 Cup mushrooms, sliced (I used baby bellas.)
1 stalk broccoli, cut into small crowns
- Put the quinoa and the chicken broth in a medium saucepan. Bring it to a boil over high heat, then cover and reduce heat. Let it simmer for 15 – 20 minutes until all the water is absorbed.
- Melt butter in a medium skillet over low heat. Raise the heat to medium-high and add the mushrooms. Then, add in the broccoli and cover. Lower the heat and let it simmer for about 10 minutes.
- When the quinoa is done, mix in the mushrooms and broccoli.
- If you like your broccoli a little more tender, you can pre-cook it in the microwave with a little water for 2-3 minutes.
- Add whatever vegetables you have on hand. I can think of plenty additions that would add color and/or flavor: red peppers, onion, garlic, etc.
Related Links around the web: