You certainly don’t need to add dressing to a fruit salad. It’s so sweet and juicy on its own, I usually prefer to eat plain, raw fruit. However, if you like to dress it up a little, this fruit salad tastes great with a little Honey Poppyseed Dressing drizzled over it. It can be a nice change from the usual bowl of fruit, and adds a little flavor to fruit that is not quite as ripe or flavorful as you’d like it to be.
Tropical Fruit Salad Recipe
1/2 fresh pineapple
1 Cup blueberries
1/2 Cup Poppyseed Dressing (recipe below)
- Rinse, peel, core, and chop all fruit, as neccessary.
- Combine all the fruit in a large bowl and toss gently with Poppyseed Dressing.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- If serving at a party, consider reserving some of the dressing and letting guests add it to their salad to their own liking.
- Have leftovers? I’ve found that pouring a cup of the fruit salad into a blender with 1/4 Cup lemonade and 4 ice cubes makes a very refreshing smoothie.
Honey Poppyseed Dressing Recipe
1/2 Cup honey
1/3 Cup cider vinegar
1-1/2 TBSP poppy seeds
1 tsp ground mustard, dry
1 tsp salt
1 tsp onion juice (or finely mined onion)
1 Cup grape seed oil (or other vegetable oil)
- In a medium bowl, combine all the ingredients except for the oil.
- When the top ingredients are well blended, slowly add in the oil. For best results, use a whisk or an electric mixer to continually mix while slowly adding in the oil until it is all emulsified into a dressing.
- Makes about 2 Cups dressing. Store any unused dressing in the refrigerator.
- If the dressing starts to settle and separate after sitting for a long period of time, just give it a quick whisk or a shake.
- This dressing is great on the Tropical Fruit Salad above, but it also tastes great on Rainbow Vegetable Apple Salad.
Want More Ideas?
- Try Nancy’s recipe for Tropical Black Bean Salad at The Sensitive Pantry. It’s one of my favorites!
- Visit Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays at Simply Sugar and Gluten-Free for more delicious, healthy recipes.
- Visit Gluten-Free Wednesdays at The Gluten-Free Homemaker for more gluten-free recipes.