When Fall comes around and the weather starts to cool down, I start to think of chili. When you want a good chili to warm you up, but just aren’t in the mood for a red, tomato-based chili, give this one a try. This is my quick and easy recipe for a chicken chili with white beans. I love it!
White, Chicken Chili Recipe
2 cans (15 oz. each) of white northern beans
6 Cups chicken broth
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium white onion, finely chopped
2 tsp ground white pepper
1 tsp salt
1 TBSP dried oregano
2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp ground cloves
2 cans (4 oz. each) diced green chiles
1 whole chicken cooked, de-boned, and cut into bite-size pieces (about 5 cups)
1 TBSP diced jalapeño for extra heat
- In a large pot, combine beans, 4 cups chicken broth, garlic onion, white pepper, salt, oregano, cumin and cloves. Cover and simmer for an hour or more.
- Stir in green chiles, chicken and the remaining 2 cups chicken broth. If desired, add jalapeño for extra heat. Cover and simmer for another hour.
- Serve as-is or over rice. Top with any variety of condiments: black olives, shredded cheese, diced avocado, chopped cilantro, sour cream, salsa, etc.
- Feel free to use cooked chicken breasts (about 2 lbs.) instead of a whole chicken.
- Like most chilis, this also works well in a slow cooker.
- Also great to serve with arepas or corn tortillas.